Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex Motor tapping Please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex Motor tapping Please help!!!!!

Ok, Here goes,
I just recently put a new top end on this 400ex. all was well, But now Im noticing that when I start it up before I go riding that Im hearing a tapping noise on the right side of the cylinder head. at fist I thought it was the valves so I adjusted them but Im still hearing the tapping. oh yea, the tapping stops when the motor warms up, this is only when its idling. when I hit the throttle i bit I can still here the tapping a little. when the top end was done the guys who did it removed the compression release do-dad. would that be whats making it tap or would it have to do with the timing chain. I m thinking that the timing chain may have streched and its slopping around in there.
Does anyone have any idea whats wrong? please help.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I could think of if it isn't the valves, it is that the timing chain is loose or something. Someone will have to verify this but I don't think there is any kind of compression release on the 400ex?

Old 01-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

why would they remove the decompression assembly on the stock cam????/
if the decompression assembly isn't used, the spring and plunger must be removed from the head or they could be floating around in there.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: cals400ex
why would they remove the decompression assembly on the stock cam????/
if the decompression assembly isn't used, the spring and plunger must be removed from the head or they could be floating around in there.
Oh ok, I see what ur saying. Your right, on a stock cam there should be no reason for this. I didn't put this back on my aftermarket cam, but I took out the spring and plunger as well. That could cause problems if they did not do this.

Who did your work, a dealer or someone you know?

Old 01-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure it ain't out of time a tooth or so?

Old 01-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Range Rover

I took it to a little famly owned shop. I usually take all my stuff there and have no problems. I havent taken the head off yet I was just wondering if I should get a new timing chain, I have spoken to a friend who knows two different people who have broken there timing chains on there 400exs.
I was wondering if it was a common thing that happens to 400s.
I have rebuilt a 300ex top end is the 400 pretty much the same thing inside?

Old 01-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Everything is about the same, except it has more valves.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PaulV
Ok, Here goes,
I just recently put a new top end on this 400ex. all was well, But now Im noticing that when I start it up before I go riding that Im hearing a tapping noise on the right side of the cylinder head. at fist I thought it was the valves so I adjusted them but Im still hearing the tapping. oh yea, the tapping stops when the motor warms up, this is only when its idling. when I hit the throttle i bit I can still here the tapping a little. when the top end was done the guys who did it removed the compression release do-dad. would that be whats making it tap or would it have to do with the timing chain. I m thinking that the timing chain may have streched and its slopping around in there.
Does anyone have any idea whats wrong? please help.
First thing I would do is to bring it back to the guys who worked on it so they can look it over etc, and since they did the work they know or should know what they did or didnt do that could be effecting it.

Then if for any reason you cant get it to them or they dont find anything I would recheck the valve settings, reset the timing chain tensioner, check the spart plug for jetting and any indications of pre ignition problems etc, check the exhaust gaskets where the header bolts to the head, and if you didnt find anything from these I would prepare to be learning a lot about this engine becaue the next steps get a little involved.

One question I do have for you is what mods have been done to the engine both internal and external and this is very important if you cant find the cause from the few things listed above.

So check the easy stuff first (if your not sure how etc post about it and I will help with what I can etc) and dont assume that because work was just done they couldnt have forgotten or missed something etc.

And dont get frustrated cause that only makes it worse

Old 01-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

are you using a stock cam?

i run a crf450 dirtbike timing chain. it is thicker than the stock one. get yourself an owners manual for this bike before you go diving in. it will make things easier.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cals400ex
are you using a stock cam?

i run a crf450 dirtbike timing chain. it is thicker than the stock one. get yourself an owners manual for this bike before you go diving in. it will make things easier.

Agree on the manual as its a must.

Curious what you think about running that timing chain. I have heard it works fine, and also that it rides too high due to actually having a different pitch (how a chain is measured from pin to pin of its links) and that if true isnt a good thing.

Quick Reply: 400ex Motor tapping Please help!!!!!