Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RANCHER WINCH MOUNT????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANCHER WINCH MOUNT????????

I'm want to install a winch on my 2X4 Rancher. My question is about the winch mounting kits. Do they mount the winch in front of the bumper or in the space under the front plastic behind the front bumper. I only have a few inches to spare when the machine is on the trailer. If the winch sticks out the front, it might not fit.
Thanks for you help!!!!

Old 01-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

The winch mounts up in behind the bumper,you can hardly notice it when it is installed all you see is the hook coming out through the fairlead.There is no problem about loosing space with the winch installed.

Framer

Old 01-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

made my own out of some basic steel and u bolts

Old 01-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, thats exactly what I needed to know.
This forum is the best.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

I just installed a warn 2.5 with the custom warn mount the other day and yes it mounts behind the bumper under the front fender. I know that the other user answered your question but I just wanted to let you know that it took about 3 hours to do the whole thing. I few tips: 1. splice into the cigarette lighter hot wire (GREEN) when installing the safety feature (I forgot what it is called). This wire is easy to get to and was recommended by my local shop. 2) I ran into a problem when connecting to the battery terminals. The stock screws are not long enough to accomidate the winch cables. I put a piece of folded paper under the "nuts" so that the screws could reach them and then pulled the paper out with a pair of tweezers when finished...this worked great. If you have any other problems along the way post them and I may be able to help.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:45 PM
CAD
Weekend Warrior

Hello

My name is Cole... my girlfriend's father recieved an 05 honda rancher 4X4 this past fathers day. He bought a winch and personally made the mounting plate at work, i made a rectangle of steel tubing to guide the winch wire back in. However we cant seem to figure out how to place the piece i made for him on his bike with out drilling holes into his new bike (DOES NOT WANT TO DO)... can you PLEASE explain and/or send pictures of how we can accomplish this? (we are both some "do it your self"ers, which means that we would like to see/read of a good way and then make it ourselves, not go buy some kit at a store)

Thank you VERY much; Cole

Old 11-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

There is 2 close up pics on this page of how I mounted my home made winch mounting plate.

Winch Mount

Old 11-07-2005, 08:25 PM
CAD
Weekend Warrior

thank you very much for that answer, but that piece we have no problem with. It is the piece on the outside that helps guide the wire in... i made it for my girlfriends dad my self, which means that i cut a pipe into four pieces, welded them together, which made the stationary rectangle piece that you mount onto the front of the bike to help guide the wire back onto the spool...

Thank you very much; Cole and Amber Dubois

Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 05 rancher 2x4 and I want to mount a winch that I bought from Tractor supply but I dont want to buy the mounting kit! could somone show me pictures of one mounted on a rancher 04 and up!!! thanks

my rancher pics