Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Got my new Rubicon today. Great ATV, but the dealer???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my new Rubicon today. Great ATV, but the dealer???

I would have to agree with Coyotechaser and would have left it there, unacceptable.

One of my friends bought a new SP 500 a few years ago. When he picked it up he said it looked like when they dried it off there was a piece of metal in the rag and the plastic had scratches all over it. He told them that was unacceptable. They said it should be OK because he was going to scratch it all up anyway. He said he wanted to be the one who put the scratches in it, not them.

He was headed out for a day ride in the morning and stood there while they assembled another new red one and PDI,ed it. He has not been back since.

The only thing I had to adjust on our Rubicon was the free-play in the throttle cable. Our Rubicon was spotless and everything was right on.

Sorry to hear of your experience, I know you have been waiting for it for quite a while. Ours has been an excellent ATV. And with 5000 miles on it we still can’t wait to ride it.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are right - I could have refused it but ...

I wanted a green one to match our Rancher. He only had and is anticipating getting for the next few months two green Rubicons, one with GPS and the other without GPS. I wanted the GPS. A snow storm is expected for our area this weekend and I do need to plow. Lastly, Over the last few months of waiting, I devloped a severe case of the gotta have its!

So here's the epilogue:

I went in to pik up mu skid plate and the fender flare fastener that was missing and the owner comes over to me. Before I can say anything to him he say, "I understand that we dropped the ball on your machine; I'm sorry."

I related to him, politely but firmly, my complaints and he dod not argue with a one. They did not have any of the fasteners I needed in stock, so he took it offof a red Rubicon he had sitting ont he showroom floor. Just before i left he said, "The next service is on me - no charge."

I told him that my son's Rancher is nearing the 20 hour mark and that free wasn't necessary but if they say they checked the valve clearances, I hope that they mean it. His reply was, "Don't worry about it - it will be done right and it will be done free!"
As I was walking out I pointed to him and told him that I was starting to feel the love again!

The owner really is a nice guy and he gave me a super deal. My son's Rancher was perfect when we got it and with only 16 hours of where we hunt it's already got way more scratches than my Rubicon. Things could have been better, but overall I'm OK with it now. Thanks for listening to me and letting me vent with a friendly audience.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good guy aware they made a mistake and wants to take care o it, thats great.

We have a 2002 Rancher and an 01 Rubicon, they are both red and have the same body styles, and we like that. I think the day we buy a new Rubicon we will probably get a new Rancher 400 AT too so they will still match.

Again, congrats on the new Rubicon.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where i live, the dealers always tack 3 things onto the price, before the bonus of taxes.

1)freight
2)pdi (PRE-Delivery inspection)
3) documentation fees (for the paperwork)

well, yours just never got the pdi done.. but you probably paid for it.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Range Rover

Hey overall, it's all good. Good help i shard to find and the owner cannot be everywhere taking care of everything all the time - but once he was made aware of it he accepted responsibility and made a sincere effort to rectify things. There's nothing more I could ask for.

Hopefully later today I can plow snow! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with you... the most important thing is they recognized error and fixed it. and better yet, HE came to you first!

Old 01-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new purchase. I also work for a Honda dealer. We have a set-up person and also a PDI person. There are times when one of these fellas will miss something ( but not often ) while doing their job. Most of the times are when they are pressured to get a unit done quick. Other than the initialization process wer discussed via e-mail, I think you should check the differential fluids front and rear to make sure they are up to proper levels.
As far as the scratches, a new unit from Honda is shipped with a cozmiline coating on them and should be removed. Some of the scratches could be where something went across the coaring. Honda has a couple of things that work for removing the coating, and will also keep your unit looking great. 'Hondabrite' and Honda spray polish, cleaner would be a great purchase to keep the plastic on both of your ATVs looking like new.
Sounds like your dealer does care and will make things right, but if in the future you need advice on anything, there are a whole lotta good people on here who can offer exellent advice to you on your Hondas. I've been with Honda for many years, and enjoy sharing tricks and knowledge on this site.

----- Gimp -----

Old 01-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Range Rover

Gimpster, I can;t thank you enough for your help regarding the ESP error. You're right, I should check the axles fluid levels. After all, the engine was about a quart low!!!

Put about five hours on the machine over the last couple of days, mostly snow plowing and running around the snow covered streets.

I think I'll change the oil and filter at 10 hours and then bring it back for the 20 hours service.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider

ditto, Gimpster, yer a good man, you gave me some USEFUL help when i first got my Recon.i really appreciate it.