Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon vs. SP500 H.O. from all aspects

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently ride a honda 300 4x4. I'm ready to move up and by a big bore 500 cc quad. I have heard both good and bad about the H.O. and the Rubicon. I want to know from people who have both or have rode with or on both about a few things. Does anyone have 28inch outlaws on the rubicon or the H.O.? Which of the 2 is best for spinning monster mud tires? Which is more powerful? What problems have you had with the polaris or the honda? The biggest reason right now I'm leaning toward the polaris H.O. is because it has alot of power, more gorund clearance, real 4 wheel drive, and push button 2x4 or 4x4. The rubi has lower GC and all time 4x4 with a limited slip diff which is actually like 3x4. Let me know what all of you think. Also let me know how much you payed for the H.O. or the Rubicon.

Old 09-17-2000, 08:25 PM
Bis
Trailblazer

This weekend I wrung out my new Rubicon. My father-in-law has a 2000 SP500 so my comments apply to that version.

Without question, the SP500 rides better. My opinion is that this has little to do with the SP's IRS, it just plain has softer springs. The Rubi feels stiff by comparison, but as a result, handles MUCH better than the SP. The steering is much lighter and the quickness of the turn-in caught me off guard, compared to the SP.

The SP has better brakes, but the Rubi's engine braking is phenomenal. I had to give it gas to go down steep hills.

The Rubicon sounds as refined as a Swiss watch. You get the feeling you're riding a quality piece of machinery. Very quiet. The Polaris, by comparison, sounded like it was trying to tear itself apart.

No contest, the Rubi transmission wins hands down. No hesitation, very smooth and very easy to shift between forward, reverse and low gear. The Polaris felt the need to grind gears when performing the same task. The Rubi's LCD display is really, really cool.

As for power, the Rubi is slightly stronger than the 2000 model, but I'm sure the HO version will beat it. My opinion is that these are the two best utilities out there right now. Just pick the one that best suits your needs and don't look back.
An aside, the SP500 developed a knocking in the engine that the dealer couldn't diagnose. To their credit, they gave my father-in-law a lifetime warranty and told him to drive it until it really breaks and they'll replace it.

Old 09-17-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I can not comment on the HO since I have not seen one, but I rode a SP500 this weekend and was very impressed. I have only been on Hondas up to that point.

Ride: The SP500 has a very soft plush ride...like a Cadillac. The seat is very comfy but seems a little too soft. When cornering you almost slide on the seat since there is so much foam in there. This is something that you would get used to. The Rubi is a much stiffer ride. The difference in the two is night and day and the choice would be rider dependent.

Braking: Didnt notice much difference in braking except the engine braking. The Rubi engine braking WILL force you to use the gas when going down a hill. It has some serious engine braking. I did not notice much engine braking on the SP500.

They are both great quads and I think there is plenty of fun to go around. There are other strong points to both, but I did not ride the SP500 enough to comment on them. I think that the HO version will rock. That thing has plenty of power without the HO!

Old 09-17-2000, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

a lifetime warentee!!! WOW that would be awsome how much does it cost for us "common folk" to get one of thoes warrentees??

just think u could put 100,000 miles on the machine and still have everything covered.

later
jon

Old 09-18-2000, 04:49 PM
Range Rover

I just bought a Rubicon last week and have not had a lot of time to ride it yet, but can say for sure that there are a few features that I really like a lot on the machine. The engine braking is great, even better than the 450es. It turns really well. If you want to go fast through the woods, the Rubicon will go wherever you point it. I have never driven a Sportsman out in the field. so I cannot say much about it. The transmission is super smooth and pulls good from bottom to top. I have two 2000 Polaris Explorers and the seats are plusher than the Rubicon. Overall I am very happy with the Ruby. Hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2000, 07:59 PM
Range Rover

I have two SP500's one an HO. The HO handles much better than the 2000 model. It steers so much better the difference is night and day. The power is very good on both but the HO is quite a bit quicker. If you ride in really rocky areas nothing can compete with the ride of the SP. If you ride normal dirt trails and roads where you are at a higher speed and less rocks the Rubicon will handle much better. The Problem with running the big tires is I have heard more problems of tearing up CV's on the SP. Too much power and too much angle they just can't take it. The Rubicon might fare better in this area. Just look at where you ride if it is rough and rocky go with the HO. If it is marshy and just dirt and mud you might like the Rubicon better. Either way you can't loose they are both the best you can get.

Old 09-19-2000, 02:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I talked to a guy at highlifter today and was surprised at his opinion of the Rubicon. He said he was dissapointed in it. The transmission was unreal, but he said that is seemed like it was really detuned. Doesn't pull the larger tires like he expected it too. Maybe this was to put that in people's heads to promote an upcoming performance kit designed specifically for the Rubicon. Who knows. I think its a good quad. I think they could have changed a few things, but that can be said of every quad. none is perfect, and I don't see why. Its not like ATV manufacturers haven't got feedback over the years. They should have given it more fender clearance though. That is my only downside.

Please honda, make me a 500cc foreman with disc brakes, a manual transmission, 2wd option, lockable option (like a king quad), and with an independant rear suspension. As if this wouldn't become the king of the 4x4's months before ever being produced. Damn, whats the holdup on this?

Old 09-19-2000, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

I have heard that rumor too coming out of people who have talked to HL. Not sure how true it is. It may not turn their 28 inch outlaws, but what will turn them well stock? It turns my 27 inch bugs like they are not even there. No difference in power from the stock wheels. I would think with some perf mods that machine should be able to turn anything.

Old 09-19-2000, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Most things I know about have already been said, except for the 4wd systems. The Polaris lets you choose between 2 & 4wd and when in 4wd, both front wheels pull with full power. No spinning of the wheel in the air with little or no power to the one on the ground. Also, being able to power-slide the rear end around is FUN. I like the Rubi tranmission better, though.

Old 09-19-2000, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

The Rubicon doesn't suffer from the old style limited slip differential problems with clutch packs. IT give the power to the wheel with the traction, if there is a discernable difference. If there is no difference, both get torque.

Much improved over the the 300 and 450 Foreman. But, even with those, a slight continuous pull on the right handbrake will engage both front wheels.

One of the ATV mags recently had a very descriptive article on various 4WD systems and how they work. I may scan it and put it in a separate folder.

Quick Reply: Rubicon vs. SP500 H.O. from all aspects