Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 06:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into getting my first ATV and was wondering what the owners of the ES models of the rancher and foreman had to say. Is the electric shift worth it or not? Easier or harder? How bout those that ride theirs super hard any problems? Need to know going to get an ATV in the next two weeks

Old 09-18-2000, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

we have had electrical faults with our 450es, it is a farm bike, used every day.....it was kinda major, but it was done under warrenty

it is good idea, but can also be hastle

try one out to decide what best suits you

and search forum for other comments

Old 09-18-2000, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Aside from the recall on the early 450ES, it hasn't been a problem. I got it because I had no riding experience and didn't want to deal with shifting in my first ATV. On the plus side, its quick and easy, plus its easy for a new rider (wife, friend, etc.) to hop on for a spin -- just less to learn. I also liked the floor boards and the instrument pod. Its handy when you're working because you can operate the controls while standing beside it -- doesn't happen often, but in some situations its nice. Similarly, you can shift while running through water and keep your feet up.

On the down side, you need both hands to run it. This means you can't carry anything in your left hand while riding. So if you want to run down a fence line with a chain saw in your hand, you have to practice juggling first. You also have to remember to shut it off in neutral -- if you shut it off in gear it may have difficulty finding N and you'll need to manually wrench the transmission shaft before starting it.

Some aggressive riders don't like the delay between gears. Its very slight, but in a tight situation it can be annoying. I've had a few instances where I've come up on a log or bank in 3rd and needed to hold steady while shifting down to 1st. It's not a big thing, but you have to click down through the gears with a slight pause each time -- the foot shift is just a little quicker. Again, we're talking fractions of seconds, but to some people in technical riding situations, it makes a difference.

Old 09-18-2000, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

It is all up to what you like. I have 2 with the ES system and love them. Havent had any problems so far.

Old 09-18-2000, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

I have ES on both my Foreman and Rancher and wouldn't hesitate to have it again.

Temp

Old 09-18-2000, 01:01 PM
Range Rover

For the price it's worth it big time. Especially since you get the floorboards along with the ES. Once you get used to it, you'll like it.

Old 09-18-2000, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

As previously mentioned with the ES comes the floor boards which work very good for keeping the mud off of you. Its well worth the $200 (or so) price differential.

Old 09-18-2000, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

No problems here, and I am in mud all the time...I would buy ES all over again, its great!

Old 09-18-2000, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

ES all the way! It's hard to get use to a foot shift bike after you ride an ES.
No trouble with mine with 3,200 klm.

Old 09-18-2000, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

I have 2 Rancher ES's. One for my wife (read not aggressive rider) that we've had no problems with. It has about 400 miles on it. Got both in July this year.
Mine was in the shop 2 weeks ago because it quit shifting once I was running the trails. I had the problem before (slightly). It cured itself. After a day of serious mudding it quit working. Took it to the shop and they said it was probably wet connections. Took it out this weekend , 1st time out since getting it back from the shop, and it quit worknig after about 1/2 mile.
It's really a bugger too. i have to shut it off/shift back to neutral/start it/and then get going again. once I get to a gear I am riding in it stops shifting again. ALSO I have no speedometer once this happens. I like the ES idea,but I think I would go with the manual if I were to go again. Been riding cycles for 35 years,so I would have no problem with shifting.