Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher vs others

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time around here...

I'm looking at buying a quad and needs your inputs.

I will be riding the quad in trails 80% of the time and do light work with it the rest of the time. Around here, I can get pretty good deals on 2000 Kawasaki, Polaris, Honda and Yamaha.

I would like auto-tranny because I plan to run often this winter in snow and auto tranny are niced with large boots but I imagine the Honda ES is as good.

I'm not sure between the Honda Rancher 400 ES and the Kawasaki 400 4x4. The Honda is a bit less equipped but the Kawasaki will require more maintenance (belt). The honda has more ground clearance but the Kawa has bigger tires...

I do not know a lot about quads but enough to know that Honda has a very good reliability reputation and that Kawa on paper and $$$ seems a good buy....

What do you think?

Old 09-18-2000, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a rancher es 4x4 and it is great. I can never get stuck in the snow and the shifting is really nice no problems. I would think that if you liked to ride in the woods that maybe you wouldnt like the 4 wheel drive because it doesnt turn all that sharp.

00, rancher es 4x4

Old 09-19-2000, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

When did the Rancher get a 400 motor?

The Rancher has a 350 motor. Kawasaki makes a good ride. My suggestion is test drive them both. Then buy which ever one gives you the best deal. Kawasaki sales are down so they will probably deal. Honda's have the best resale value of all the manufacturers.

I have a Rancher with 600 miles no problems. Its a good quad.

Good Luck.

Old 09-19-2000, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks

I knew the Honda was a 350 (actually it is a 329cc) but those 2 quads compare in pricing in my area. At the dealer I went, the Kawa is $100 cdn (that's proably nothing worth in US$) more. You get bigger engine, liquid cooled, rear brake light, adjustable shocks, front disk brakes, bigger tires, full automatic transmission and rust free composite racks.

On the other hand, the Honda has higher ground clearance, you can use the engine compression because it is semi automatic, will cost less to maintain (I assume), will be more reliable (Again I assume) and will provide higher resale value.

I am planning another visit at the dealer this weekend and plan to bring the cheque book. If the wife finally gives it to me... !

Thanks, keep the posts coming if you have other comments.

Lego

Old 09-19-2000, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

as much as i love my rancher i will not recommend it to you. What i recommend you do is buy the quad from the dealer you trust the most. If the dealer at the Kami shop seems more trustworthy/competent than the Honda dealer then buy the Kawi and visa versa.

This I will say. I rode a Kawi Prarie 400 4x4 before i bought my rancher. The ride of the Kawi was nice. The power was GREAT!!!!! The absent engine breaking totaly turned me against the Kawi's. Plus i have heard of several tranny faliures on the Praries.

The ES system is, in one word, AWESOME!!!!!! It is totally bullet proof!! Occasionally you will hear/experiance a dirty, or loose, or wet sensor conection but those are easily fixed. The AP-SurTrac is a MUCH better differential than the conventional limited slip differential of the Prarie. I also don't like the way that a winch mounts on the Prarie 400's. they have to "hang" on the front of the quad. The rancher's winch mount is tucked behind the bumper.

I just drew a blank.....so i'll end my rant now hope this helps you a little bit

l8r
cart

Old 09-24-2000, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've tested both the Honda and the Kawa and it was difficult to decide. The Honda was easier to turn and I've liked the driving position. I found the kawa engine was more powerful (obviously it is but it was also noticeable).

I've finally bought the Honda and should get it by the end of this week.

Thanks for your inputs.

LEGO

Old 09-25-2000, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

good choice what color did ya get?

Old 09-25-2000, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I choose Green because I've heard it's the fastest....

Lego

The Green Machine soon to be...

Old 09-26-2000, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

you musta heard wrong see below. they are faster than the red...heheheh have a good time on the trails