Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 04:14 PM
K2
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Limp Mode

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem... Stopped after a 30 or so minute ride the other day (in ice and snow) and left the Ruby idling for a few minutes. Got back on and put it into reverse and it started to sputter and went into "limp mode" with the dash blinking and top speed of about 10 or so. Tried a number of things to get it reset with no luck.

I know this is a safety feature to avoid damaging the unit, but the dealer checked it out and claims they didn't get a problem code off it so reset it, checked everything out and only found a loose throttle cable. Said that could have triggered a sensor to think it wasn't properly in gear. This wknd I had it out and it went into limp mode again after a while. This time, however, it would reset itself by simply turning it off and on. Over the wknd, it continued to go into limp mode in any number of situations, idle, reversing or even cruising along. I got it to reset every time, which I actually thought was impossible without a bunch of procedures by a dealer.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was triggering limp mode? I would love to point the dealer to some things since I'm not real confident, at this point, he will find it on his own.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubicon Limp Mode

I would check the wire connectors inside the right rear fenderwell, ahead of the wheel on the frame, for good connection. Also the ECU connectors, viewed from the same fenderwell, only above the tool box. The angle sensor connector needs to be checked also. It is under the left engine cover ( Plastic ) below the exhust pipe. Problems with any of these connectors can cause it to go into limp in mode.
One more thng that can cause it would be a shift motor lock problem, related items would be a bad shift motor, connector, angle sensor, or faulty hondamatic unit.

----- Gregg -----