Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubi Electrical Woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 09:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi gang. I'm new to the sport and just picked up a new Rubicon on Thurs. Yesterday it died with just 2.5 hrs on it. It keeps blowing the main the fuse. I got it back to the dealer just before closing in the hopes it would be a quick fix--but no such luck. Looks like they'll be chasing the short starting Mon AM.
Has anyone had a similar problem/suggestions on the first place to look for a short on a brand new Honda?
Thanks

01 Rubicon stock so far

Old 09-24-2000, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Haven't had any problems with mine. Sounds like a short somewhere.

Old 09-25-2000, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought two new Rubicons about the end of june,the first one never missed missed a lick. The problem showed up on the second one, after picking it up I hauled it 150 miles to the Big Horn Mountains for a weekend of riding. I got things packed and we left camp I made it right at two miles when the machine seemed to lockup at about 15 mph. I had no idea what had happened ended up having to haul it off the mountian on a trailer down to the dealer. After about half a day of truoble shooting they found that the wires that go to the gear postion switch had been pinched under the cover for the starter motor and as I rode they had shorted together making the computer think it was in every gear at same time. I realize this isn't the exact same problem your having but its a place to look for a pinched wire. Also I was talking to a honda mechanic the other day he told me about a new Rubicon a guy brought back the same day he bought it. The machine couldn't even pull itself back into the truck no power ended up being a loose ground wire that put the machine into default mode. simple fix for a big problem. Both of these problems were human errors and sense then it hasn't given any problems and I wouldn't trade it for any thing else on the market. Hope this might be some help

Old 09-25-2000, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Problem found. The dealer had routed a wire for the winch solenoid such that when I was seated on the Ruby it was rubbing. Eventually, wore through the insulation and caused the short. Wires are now rerouted. Guess there's still a bit of learning going on in the service dept at the dealership. At any rate they're giving me a free first servicing when it's due to make up for their faux pas. At any rate this was/is not a Honda problem, just a foul up on the winch (Warn 2000) installation.
Thanks for all of the replies.

01 Rubicon, Warn 2000 so far

Old 09-26-2000, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

This is one of the reasons why I installed my own winch. I am very particular about the way things are wired up. Shorts are inevitable when care is not taken while wiring.
Glad it was a quick fix for you. Good Luck and have fun!

Old 09-26-2000, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

Good to hear your up and running, Bandit432. That is a good dealer you have there. They fixed the problem ASAP and offered a 'peace' offering for their mistake. It is good to see customer service is alive at some dealerships!

That is the kind of place I like to spend my hard earned cash at...

SP500 in NS