Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

why did you choose honda?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005 | 10:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default why did you choose honda?

Because I owned 2 Yamahas before that, and didn't really like either one! The Blaster was a real kick to ride, but every weld on the swingarm cracked! Not very impressive quality! Back in the day the Warror didn't seem that bad, but after riding the 400EX I realized what a dog the Warrior really is!

Old 04-02-2005 | 10:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

To tell the truth here, I have always wanted a Honda. I tried very hard to talk myself into the 450R. Life is to short to not have the best tool for the job though. I had to buy the YFZ, it is just a better product for me. (hint, hint Honda-electric start) Still would like a 250ex for the wife, but we will see.

Old 04-02-2005 | 10:31 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The 250EX has to be one of Honda's best achievements! It's a superb ride for beginner adults and older kids who are advancing into larger adult size machines. I see thousands of them out on the trail, so Honda has to be making tons of $$$$ on them. Somebody at Honda R&D was on the ball on this one.

Kicking the 450R is no problem, once you understand the machine!

Old 04-02-2005 | 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

"why did you choose a honda?"

I didn't choose Honda this time, or the last time, or the time before that, or the time before that, ...

I've been riding and racing dirt bikes and ATVs for 30 years now (started when I was 14 years old), and I have owned more dirt bikes and ATVs than I can count, LOL. I used to ride only Honda, and at one time we had all Honda's in our garage. In total, I've owned eleven different Honda's, ranging from an XR70 for my son, to a CR500 for myself, to a Rincon 650 for my wife. And I have considered Honda each and every time when purchasing something new, because in my younger years I was a Honda man, through and through, and that kind of thing tends to stick with you. But I am open minded, and objective performance means more to me than brand loyalty. I hate to say it, but I have chosen something other than HONDA on the last ten purchases. The most recent decision was between a YFZ 450 and a TRX 450, and you guessed it, the YFZ outperforms the TRX, and I just picked up the latest YFZ 450 last week. It has been that way each and every time over the last several years, another brand outperforms Honda. We have four members of our family, and right now our garage looks mighty blue:

2005 Yamaha PW 50
2005 Yamaha TTR 90
2005 Yamaha Grizzy 125
2003 Yamaha YZ 125
2005 Yamaha YZ 250
2004 Yamaha YFZ 450
2005 Yamaha YFZ 450
2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450
2005 Kawasaki Team Green 700
2005 Bombardier DS 650 Viper

Honda needs to get with the program before I start buying honda's again. I refuse to "settle for a Honda" when another brand performs better. Honda's approach is too conservative right now. Just my $.02 worth.

DesertViper

Old 04-02-2005 | 12:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

ReconRanger, I agree, the 450r is very easy to kick over. Then again, I start my LT250R by hand sometimes. In my experience, sooner or later you will get into a situation where a kicker will leave you tired and worn out. The problem is I am getting older and maybe even lazier. I was ready for e-start, and the YFZ feels more like the ole LT while in the seat than the Honda did. Not only that, I picked the better looking quad(my opinion) I wish Honda would have put e-start on the 450R, I would be riding red right now.

Old 04-02-2005 | 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scooter86
I wish Honda would have put e-start on the 450R, I would be riding red right now.
Honda would probably double their sales on the 450R if they just put an E-start on it.....................Why is it so hard for them to figure this out?.................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2005 | 12:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well i have been a yamaha gy for the last 6 months , but i think iam going back to a ol honda fourtrax 300 4xx4 , these yamahas are fast but are a money pit , so iam going back to honda ! last for ever

Old 04-02-2005 | 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

YEP,
Im with DESERTVIPER on this one.

Seems though we still have a few brand loyal Honda jerks from Connecticut running around making false accusations against other brand ATVs in an attempt to justify their own screw-up for buying a less than steller ATV,when compared to what the other manufactures offer today.

Ah,
but dont worry,im certain he's used to watching his buddies by the curb anyway.

Old 04-02-2005 | 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFEBelts,when fully sealed up,are VERY efficient and hard working machines.And it costs only pennies to replace a belt.Compare that to replacing a tranny on a Honda.
Nice to see you again, Bill. I just need to correct some of your information. A belt does not cost "pennies" to replace. Have you checked the price of a King Quad belt? Make sure you're sitting down when you find out. I know for a fact that repairing a Yamaha CVT costs an extraordinary amount of money. One would think that repairing a CVT would be cheap, but in some cases, it can be very expensive..

I will agree that in general, belt drive CVT's cost less to repair.

Old 04-02-2005 | 11:28 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: DesertViper
"why did you choose a honda?"

The most recent decision was between a YFZ 450 and a TRX 450, and you guessed it, the YFZ outperforms the TRX, and I just picked up the latest YFZ 450 last week.

Depends what your definiton of "outperforms" is. Both bikes have their strong suits, handling and suspension is where the TRX outperforms the YFZ.

It has been that way each and every time over the last several years, another brand outperforms Honda. We have four members of our family, and right now our garage looks mighty blue:

2005 Yamaha PW 50
2005 Yamaha TTR 90
2005 Yamaha Grizzy 125
2003 Yamaha YZ 125
2005 Yamaha YZ 250
2004 Yamaha YFZ 450
2005 Yamaha YFZ 450
2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450
2005 Kawasaki Team Green 700
2005 Bombardier DS 650 Viper

Honda needs to get with the program before I start buying honda's again. I refuse to "settle for a Honda" when another brand performs better. Honda's approach is too conservative right now. Just my $.02 worth.

DesertViper
I respect your opinion. Yamaha does have some machines that outperform Honda is some areas, and vice-versa. But honestly, does every single Yamaha in your list outperform Honda's version? Even the motorcycles? Just curious.

Quick Reply: why did you choose honda?