Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

i did it, then i was screwed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2000, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to get a 400ex since they came out. I have saved, begged, pleaded, bargained, worked, and tried about everything I could think of to try to get an ex! i never had really good grades(mostly c's and d's) so my dad made a deal with me. He said that if I got straight a's on a report card, I could have a 400ex. Well, I got my straight A report card yesterday, and was told good job, but i couldn't get a 400ex because our polaris trail boss 250's were better than a 400ex! I yelled for about an hour with no avail. I went to the garage where my pics of 400ex's were and where the polaris' were. Then I smiled, went back in the house, looked at him in the eye, and told him that I will still by one with the 4000 dollars(and more coming) I have been saving and that he couldnt do crap about it. He lloked at me in the eye, then said, "Son, i was testing you to see if you really wanted one. I am still not going to buy you one for the report card, but I will sell the 250's and the trailer to help you in your mission." I almost cried when I heard those words. So, my ex will be here in about a month!!! It just goes to show that with hard work, effort, and a strong will, you CAN do it.

DON'T EVER LOSE THE DREAM DAMMIT!!!!

I have also read the posts put on this topic and I am at a loss of words! I appreciate all the support I got from the kinder people in here, but some replies I was appauled at! How dare you people judge me without even nowing my name! I may be more privilaged then some of your shildhoods, but I also don't have to walk 15 miles in the snow uphill both way to school barefoot with broken glass on the ground! I mean scheeezzzz!!

[edited by moderator to remove foul language. Please refrain from that kind of talk or we'll have no choice but to revoke your access]

Old 09-28-2000, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like your pop didnt hold up to his end of the bargain. I would still be pissed.

Old 09-28-2000, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Sometimes POP's need time to upheld there bargin and selling the polaris still gets him his 400... Have fun dude.. Let us know what you brake first..hehe

Old 09-28-2000, 01:12 AM
Range Rover

great job. keep it up and maybe you will be rippen in your 400. I wish alls I had to do was get good grades.

Old 09-28-2000, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like dad needs an education in honesty.You worked your tail off to acheive good grades,than he backs out of the deal.Shame on him.Your good grades should have been a direct reflection to your dad on how badly you wanted the new 400ex.I'd never dream of doing that to any of my kids,
Good Luck,
Bill

Old 09-28-2000, 09:24 AM
Range Rover

I am hesitant in replying to this post. I am actually scratching my head because I just feel as though something isn't right.

I have to differ with just about all of you with the attitude that the father should be looked down upon.

COME ON PEOPLE! No offense Quadamaniac, you should be commended for your grades. I never, in all my schooling, was able to pull off an "A". I think that is great.

My theory in this matter is that your father probably thought he was making a deal that he honestly didn't believe could be attained. Think about it, you were making C's and D's.

This brings up a few questions. What will your future report cards look like? You've proven you are capable of making A's. What driving force will keep your grades up next time? Will your 400EX be sold when you start getting C's and D's again? If you were rewarded for A's, will you be punished for future C's and D's?

I am guessing you are between the ages of 13 and 16. You are at an age where self-centeredness takes precedence over levelheaded decision-making. Who knows, maybe your destiny is to become a pro quad racer; I however, doubt that. I have a feeling your grades will play a bigger role in your life than the new 400EX.

You see, you have the potential to make A's. Why haven't you been making A's all along? If college is in the plans, that 400EX isn't going to do squat when it comes to getting into college. It's your grades that will carry you along.

My father bought me my first quad in high school. It was a 1985 Yamaha Moto 4 200(bubble tires, no suspension, 189cc, shaft, semi-automatic). Do you get my point? It wasn't the best thing on the market. He bought it used for $1,200. I was happy with it and didn't dare beg him for the awesome Banshee or Warrior that was being produced at the same time. I had more respect for him. It wasn't my hard earned money; it was his.

I sold the quad and went off to college. I made the grades, got a good job, earned a decent income, bought a nice house, got married, bought the nice furniture...and finally 12 years later bought my "Banshee/Warrior" 400EX.

As for the people who think the father should be burned at the stake for backing down on a deal, get REAL. This guy has clothed this kid, fed him, housed him, and done probably a lot more. Furthermore, the kid already has a quad. As pathetic as they are, he has two Polarises at his disposal. So now he decides he wants a Vette instead of a Chevette. This just doesn't seem right. I don't know, maybe I was brought up differently.

In addition, the father is going to sell what he can to "HELP" his son buy the 400EX. Hey, that sounds like a fair deal to me.

Old 09-28-2000, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

I was going to reply, but now I don't have to. Brian said it.

Old 09-28-2000, 09:55 AM
Range Rover

Good points from both sides... I am impressed in the intellegence of both views.

My opionion, The father made the deal.. dangled the carrot..The son achieved the goal... Now the deal has to endure closure. The future holds what ever direction was learned from this by the way the two parties procede from this point forward.

Good luck (and keep up the good grades)

Old 09-28-2000, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

I too agree w/ the previous posts, by making the grades you have helped yourself tons more than a quad can, as for the father holding up his end of the deal..from what I gather he did, the kid will have the 400ex soon. Coming from someone that had to purchase all the "toys" themselves with hard work I can hardly sympathize with this scenario. What's wrong with making good grades to get good grades? No wonder the USA is so far behind academically....
I'm getting off the soapbox now..

Old 09-28-2000, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Why didn't you just get a job like i did when I was in high school and buy your own? my dad offered to buy me one i was like no way , this is my deal why should it cost you money? so I got a job washing dishes and bought my 225DX Yamaha, with my own cash no whinning to daddy about it. Unlike nowadays , seems kids whine enough and they get what they want.
You know what my dad was so proud of my taking the intitiative to go out and get a job to pay for my 225DX.
and plus your dad has already supplied you with atvs? but i suppose not good enough?

Quick Reply: i did it, then i was screwed!