Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

05 rancher AT stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005 | 09:57 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 rancher at stalling

Just turned over 100 miles. Almost everytime i go to put it in gear it stalls . Even after its warmed up. What can i do?

Old 04-04-2005 | 10:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default 05 rancher AT stalling

Its still under warrenty? Bring it in to get checked.

Did you do your 100 mile maintance? Important, to at least get that oil changed and filter.

Old 04-04-2005 | 10:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yes........ I changed the oil and the filter at 100 miles. Just wish i could figure out a quick fix for the stalling other then taking it to the shop. Its aggravating .

Old 04-04-2005 | 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

Soon some more Knowlegable people might Answer you. But check and make sure your choke isnt stuck in halfway or something. Thats first thing I would mess around with.

Old 04-05-2005 | 12:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Is you idle speed maybe a little to low, and the extra load of putting it in gear kills it?

Old 04-05-2005 | 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

i also noticed had this problem with my rancher at after bringing it home from the dealer. But after a few adjustments with the idle speed *** (located on the right side just below the gas tank) it was fine. it is also slightly cold blooded, as was my previous rancher before breaking it in. I am hoping this is also the case. A question i have for at owners is, do you notice the that the fan comes on seemingly early? after a short ride at relatively low speeds the fan comes on and stays on for the remainder of my ride. This is troublesome considering i live in texas and we havent even begun to experience hot weather yet.

Old 04-05-2005 | 06:50 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

yes... I will try the idle screw. You are right about the rancher taking long to warm up. I live in Florida and i still need to let it run for 5 min before taking off. If you try to take off before its warm , it will stall every single time you put it in gear. It stalls when its warmed up but not quite so often.

Old 04-05-2005 | 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

Exactly the way our new Rancher AT was doing. I was continually having to adjust the idle to keep it from going dead and would take 5 minutes or more before you could ride it was so cold natured. Now it has around 150 miles on it and I had to idle it back down because it was idling too fast now. Also , just in the last week or so, it doesnt take maybe a minute and its warmed up enough to go without stalling or choking it anymore. I believe it just takes a while for these machines to get broke in and running right. Last night I jumped on it and choked it to start. Pushed the choke half off and put it in gear and took off. No stalling at all. After about 500 feet down the driveway I pushed the choke all the way off and it was fine. Used to have to run choke for a mile or more. It definately gets better as it gets broken in.

Old 04-05-2005 | 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

I had a couple of different problems with stalling. First, if I was really working the machine hard and came to a quick stop (oxymoron) the at would stall. I solved that problem by turning up the idle slightly. I just had my 100 mile tune-up and I told the shop about the problem and since I got it back it has not stalled at all. I did notice Sunday that it is idling a little fast but that, to me, is no big deal. The second problem that I had was with the warm-up. My rancher would also stall if I did not let it warm up for 5-10 minutes. I found that all I had to do is let it warm up for 30 seconds and then as I pushed the choke lever down I gave it a little gas. I also gave it more gas (1-2 seconds) once the choke lever was completely down and it hasn't stalled since. I have done this during a wide specturum of temperatures. Try it.....it also worked with my recently sold 2003 rancher 4x4 es.

Old 04-05-2005 | 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

From what I am reading on here and have experienced, it must be a pretty common characterist of the RancherAT until broken in. Mine is great now..

Quick Reply: 05 rancher AT stalling