Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Attention early-model Rancher owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention early-model Rancher owners

I would like to strongly encourage anyone with a 2000-2001 Rancher to take the time to remove their front differentials and check to see if the inner differential housing is tightly bolted down. Mine came apart yesterday and caused my front diff to develop a 360 degree crack! When I removed it today, I discovered that three out of six bolts had never even been installed. The remaining 3 had worked loose over time, causing the failure. If it does happen to you, report it to Honda America. It is unknown att if they are going to help me out with it.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

One of my friends has a 2001 Rancher 4wd model. They had a recall on it last year I believe it was and replaced upper control arm bushings I believe he said. A couple of months back he was riding and almost lost control every time he hit a bump or swag in the trail. After getting home he got to checking over the machine and saw where the frame had broken at the weld where the upper control arm bolts on to the chassis. He later that week went to the local dealer to check on the price of a new frame. When they asked why he wanted a new frame and he told them, they immediately called Honda and told the company what happened. They replaced Billy's frame with a newer style, braced like the new models, tuned the engine and adjusted valves, changed oil and filter and actually had it ready to go and back to him in 2 weeks for free! Honest to God this is true. You should contact your dealer and have them talk to the Honda Rep and see if it will be covered. They sure took care of Billy and fast!

Old 04-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The frame upgrade is a bracket that ties the upper control arm mounts at the frame together, it could have caused the housing to break,

The only busted housings I have seen is from water inside and then freezing, never seen bolts loose yet in hundred upon hundreds I have serviced...

----- Gimpster -------

Old 04-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 00. Got the bracket put on right away. No problems. Wouldn't mind a new frame though!

Old 04-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I had the bracket recall done a good while ago. I contacted my dealer and they gave me the Honda America number and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm hoping that since it appears three out of the six bolts were never installed they will stand by their product. I know freezing water wasn't the culprit since we haven't had a freeze for over two months and it's kept in the garage.