Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Issue with ES need some technical assistance

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with ES need some technical assistance

Now my problem really isn't the ES it functions perfectly but i do have a issue which caught up with me this weekend. If you have noticed on your es you can't shift from N into 1st, or reverse without the rpm's being quite low. My problem i was mud bogging, and i kept trying to get over this one hill in pit, i would hit it and get stuck and need to drop to reverse, my problem was my exhaust was about 3-4 inches under mud, and trying to let the bike idle down was impossible, it would just shut straight off. as you all know is a huge problem with water entering a engine. so my question to any tech type individidual is there anyway to get rid of this safety feature in mud?

Old 07-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Good question, hopefully somone can answer it, its a PITA feature in the circumstances that you described. I really hate these safety features built in by the manafacturers, I just installed a start in gear switch on my forman S, much more convienent!!!

Old 07-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I wasnt aware of that. But it seems to me, they didnt want anyone doing nuetral drops.

Some of the annoying things about the es quads, can be dealt with with a jumper wire, but some cant. Like being able to access nuetral, when rolling over 2mph, thats part of the circuitry of the chip. There may be a way around this particular issue, but im not aware of it. Its funny, because the buttons will shift, with the throttle pinned,and the motor spinning at redline....once its in gear, but wont when in neutral, that says to me, its not a jumper wire that will fix it, Its burned into the logic circuits on the chip. And if you try to clip the nuetral wire, so the chip doesnt ever see nuetral..it wont start. Unless you do the nuetral jumper, and a switch...this way you can selectivly have the nuetral indication or not, by flicking a switch. So when you want to start it, you can have the nuetral, and once started flick it off. But you might have shifting problems, because it wont know which gear its in and itll do the --.

I tried figuring out how to get the foreman to start in gear, and the es system doesnt like to be fooled. Its posible to start it, but then it stays locked in gear, because its confused as to which gear its in. Theres a past thread on this. The s models have no problem with a start in gear switch. The es models, need to see a nuetral or the cdi wont provide spark, when starting. Im still trying to figure out a bypass on that, and then itll bump start too. In case you hadnt noticed, the es models wont bump start. Its posible , using the nuetral switch jumper, to make a s model bump start.

The centrifical clutch, at least on my foreman, is all in at 1700 rpm, so i would think, if you adjusted the idle speed up, to about 1650, before entering the mud pit, that might take care of the issue. I have a small tach on mine, and it makes it easy to set the idle speed where ever you want. If you have a tach, you could also find the point (rpms), where the buttons stop working in nuetral, and set the idle speed at 50 rpm less.

If you play around with it, let us know what you find.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

see the starting in gear is useless to me the bike never shuts off on me while in gear i only have this stupid issue when playing in deep mud, and to be honest idling up prolly won't help i need to hold the gas almost half throttle to keep it running to much water in exahaust, prolly need to snorkel my exahust