Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES again

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES again

I did a search and found nothing. I apologize for the newb question but I've got and 04 Rancher 350 ES bone stock with 1000 miles on it, and you probably guessed by the title, has shifting problems. It is flashing 3 times, speedo is working. My question is: is there a list of codes somewhere that I can access to find the problem myself? Or is it best left to a tech? I'm mechanically inclined, just new to atv's. (Obviously, we bought a ES) -Thanks

Old 07-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rancher ES again

3 flashes is the angle sensor. Its in the repair manual.
The haynes manual tells you how to remove the sensor and check it with an ohm meter.

It's probably just a dirty or wet connection though.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rancher ES again

04, 05 had some issures with the manufacturing of the angel sensor (mexico) both of my buddy's bikes failed, both recieved new angel sensors and problem dissappear, but try what the first poster stated

Old 07-31-2005, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES again

Nice, thanks guys, I will start there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2005, 01:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Rancher ES again

Welcome to the forum.
Does the gear position always flash? it never resets? Has the angle sensor ever been off the motor?
Check the connections at the ecu and the angle sensor. Make sure they arent cocked or off, and that they are dry and not corroded.
If you have a volt ohm meter, and want to do some checks..i can walk you through the steps to trouble shoot it.
If youre gonna keep it, and are willing to do the repairs and maint. yourself, you might want to get the clymers for this quad. Its writen for the non professional, and it steps you through the procedure for troubleshooting.
If the connectors look good,then the first step, is on the wire connector from the ecu. The ecu is above the oil cooler, and it has a wide narrow connector with 22 pins.disconnect this connector. Do this with the key off. Check the resistance between two pins, on the wire harness side of that connector. Positive lead of the ohmmeter, on the black/red wire and the negitive lead of the ohmeter on the blue /green wire. Black /red means black wire with the red stripe, and blue/green means blue wire with green stripe. You should get 4k to 6k ohms.
Let me know what you find.

I did a search, and i think this is the post you were looking for,
Text

Old 08-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES again

Okay, I might need a little more help. I removed and cleaned the plugs at angle sensor and ECU (which incidentally is under the right rear fender on my 04 rancher) I took a reading @ the black/red and blue/green wires at the harness and got 5.17k ohms. Next, it seemed to be operating correctly around the yard until I intentionally put it on an uphill in too steep a gear (2nd) and it imediately started flashing the code 3 angle sensor again. I'm going to try clutch adjustment next, any other ideas? Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Rancher ES again

Sorry about that, my clymers is for a 2003, and i thought they would be the same location.
After the flashing starts, does going key off, and back on, get rid of the flashing? If it does, then that means something hasnt failed, and that theres an intermitent problem, like loose wire,or bare wire, which only touches the frame now and then, or something like that.
The next step in the service manual, (for the 2003), is using a special adaptor, to measure some voltages, accross those same two wires. You could try lightly nicking the insulation off the two wires, in a small spot, and putting the probes of the voltmeter, on the wires. Pos to the black/red, and neg to the blue/green. hook the connectors back up, on the angle sensor and the ecu, turn the key to on, you should see 4.75 to 5.25 volts dc.
If that is good, then youll need to ohm check the angle sensor. Disconnect the large 22 pin connector on the ecu, and im assuming the key is off, (the book doesnt specificly say), check the resistance between the yellow/blue and the blue/green, wires, with the transmission shifted tru each gear.Im assuming you do this with the emergency handle. The desired resistance is 0-5k ohms.
Im assuming the color codes and resisatnce readings are the same for 04.

Trending Topics

Old 08-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES again

Just bringing this back to the top to thank you guys for your help. Turned out to be the mexico made angle sensor. 36 bucks and she was back on the trail, put about a hundred miles on it this weekend. Thanks again -Darryl [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES again

Hondabuster, your advice is top notch and I appreciate your sharing of info. Just to clarify something though, with a failing angle sensor, turning the key off and then back on again will reset it..for awhile. After that it doesn't help.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES again

Turning it off and then back on worked a few times for us, it did reset a couple of times, but ended up limping home with the manual backup lever.