Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RancherAT no power to the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RancherAT no power to the wheels

I agree propnut. The 400at rancher couldn't pull a greased string out of a cat's butt, let alone pull 26" tires! The 350 rancher will outrun and outpull the 400.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:14 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: propnut
I have no clue as to why honda tries to push these Hydro's because the do not hold up to the use of the machines
wrong -

the clutch problem he's having isn't with the hydro

that's what he gets for putting tires like that on a light duty trail quad

Ummm.....the 350 manual shifts run 26's with no problem.........the 400AT can't run 26's? Sounds like the Hydro is the weak link..............It's a utility quad, it should be able to take quite a bit of resistance before it gives out. I know guys with Rub's and Rin's that won't tow anything with them for fear of problems.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the Hydro is the weak link
gearing is the weak link here

the clutch is slipping, not the hydro. the same type of centrifical clutch you have on your Rancher.

Rancher AT is not really a utility, no low range.

I know guys with Rub's and Rin's that won't tow anything with them for fear of problems
Can't speak for the Rincon (not really a ute either), but my Rubicon tows just fine. I can even shift gears while towing (try that while towing a a 20 ft log on your Rancher). I trust it over a belt and have no reason to believe that it won't last as long as a gear tranny if taken care of (oil changes). I bought this machine for it's utility ability. The Rancher just wouldn't cut it.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm fairly new to this forum but I have been reading it for quite a while now. I own a 2005 rancher at and have had no power issues with it what so ever. Just about everyone using this forum says how crappy the AT is at the lowend, but I just don't see it. I have hauled over 1500 pounds of logs on a trailer, dragged 300 pound railroad ties up a 30 deg slope, ripped out rail road ties that were used for landscaping, dragged 600 pound logs and haven't seen any ill effects. I agree I don't have torque to spin the tires at will but even when trail riding in 2 wheel drive I can spin the tires with ease around corners. I can't see how having 26 inch tires affected your machine that much. I have accidently left my rear parking break on and I was still able to power onto my trailer without issues. I think there is more wrong than just tires.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

After talking to some people I know that have the AT400, they told me that clutch's had burned up, because the computer had a problem with shifting into 1st gear. They were starting in 2nd most times, it trashed the clutch, which had to be replaced and the computer was reprogrammed or replaced. Honda did it under warrenty. After this was done they had plenty of power.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

because the computer had a problem with shifting into 1st gear.
that's the most plausable explanation I've heard yet for the root cause. A riding buddy never had this problem, but the ECU recall was done

except how he says "When I go up any slope the power drops quickly, engine revs up", is this is any ratio?

my opinion of the tire deal was if the tires are placed up against something and you try to move, the ATs gearing and 26" tire diameter/ 30lb tire weights are all working against you. with no low it may limit you sometimes. If you are in 2nd gear, it just gets worse. Not knocking the AT

Old 10-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Range Rover

Can't speak for the Rincon (not really a ute either), but my Rubicon tows just fine. I can even shift gears while towing (try that while towing a a 20 ft log on your Rancher). I trust it over a belt and have no reason to believe that it won't last as long as a gear tranny if taken care of (oil changes). I bought this machine for it's utility ability. The Rancher just wouldn't cut it.[/quote]

Don't take me the wrong way here, as I'm not bashing on anyone's personal machine or choices...........I'm just amazed that with the way Honda usually does things that the Hydro isn't almost suited to do double duty as an armored military tank transmission as well. Honda just builds products that good, and sometimes I guess I am spoiled by that. No doubt your Rube is serving you well and I am glad it is. I guess I may have mistakenly clessified the Rube, and Rin's together.........And By the way, I fully believe the Rancher is not the ultimate for big jobs like the ones you speak of, it just suits my purposes well. Sorry if any offence was taken.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

hey, no offense taken - it's not like I gave birth to the thing or designed it myself

but the Rubicon and a tank are a little different, its not any more suited for a tank than the Foreman's 5 speed semi-auto

my only gripe was blindly blaming it on the hydraulic unit

Old 10-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

I would definitely not group the Rubi with the Rincon or Rancher. I have pulled my buddies Yamaha Rhino 30 miles through rugged terrain with my hydro tranny Rubicon without a problem. I have never had a problem with hills, mud, or towing. I cannot say anything about the Rancher AT as I have never owned one but the Rubicon in my opinion (and the opinion of many others) has the BEST tranny on the market.