Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 400 rancher AT w/GPS, help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 400 rancher AT w/GPS, help please

Called the dealer today (day 12) checking on the Rancher's progress. Seems the problem is intermittent and they need to ride it until something actually breaks ......... or I can take it back unfixed. Needless to say my frustration is building, the up side is we don't ride during hunting season so it would be sitting now anyway.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys, Well I'm not sure were to start. Ok I've had my 05 rancher in the shop 5 times now for the same problem as you guys are having and the dealer can't figure out what i wrong with it either. But the only thing that they found out is that my speed sensor was giving real high reading so they replaced that and still no changes. Unlike the other guy who said that honda replaced his clutch for free, my dealer didn't (that cost me 600. for a new cluch) but i did put in the high lifter heavy duty one because i'm running 28's on my little racher (and yes it turns those big tires w/out a problem).
The dealer was saying that the tires caused the problem but i don't think that it did because I had the tires on it for almost a year before my problem started (around 350-400mi)
They are supposed to bring a tech in to shop and when he shows up I'm going to bring it in but I'm going to fight like heel to get the money back for the clutch because if it's still doing it you know that my clutch is not being helped

Please Let Me Know What You Guys Find

Little Bull

Old 01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Kinda strange all you guys having problems w/ your '05s and the ECM recall was for the '04 models. I know this particular case is in fact an '04 but thought I would share it w/ you. Guy brought in his 400 because in auto mode, you would slow down to about 5 mph and when you hit the throttle again, it seems like you were also hitting the brakes. If he stopped, he could hear the shift motor moving back down to 1st gear. I rode this thing for awhile and also noticed if you kept a steady speed around 7 mph it felt like the brakes where being applied. If I hit the throttle it usually would take off after a second or so, weird. I called Honda and they said to do check the clutch w/ the clutch stall test outlined in the ECM update. Basically you have to put it in ESP, shift to 5th gear, w/ a tach installed hold brakes and hit the throttle WFO for three seconds and read the RPM. (Don't do if you don't have to, very hard on machine but was a way to check the clutch for the ECM recall) Anything over 4400 RPM and the clutch needs replacing. I got about 4500 RPM and now have parts on order for this machine, it'll be interesting to see what the clutch looks like when I get it apart. Honda said they have seen only a handfull of machines have clutch problems after the recall was performed and the clutch tested ok.

Honda also mentioned that if you are riding at a steady speed, even at a low speed, the machine will upshift to drop the RPM, so some lag when hitting the throttle again is normal while the machine downshifts and you can accelerate. Riding in ESP in those situations is will eliminate the lag. Obviously in this case, it was extreme and the machine does need attention.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey 1988TRX250R Thanks for the responce, But Ifailed to mention that I've had my ECM replaced, a whole new clutch, and a speed sensor. All of this did not fix the problem. Pretty much the dealer told me "Ride it until it breaks then we'll know something". I don't thinnk that reputable company should advise this to customers specially when you pay over 5g's for a bike. It has been an on going battle, as previously stated I'm running 28" tires and some of the mechanics in the shop thoght the problem was caused by these tires. So this question goes out to all of you responding to this post What equipment are you running (please in detail) The dealer had me pay for the clutch even though they said were going to try to cover it under warranty. Don't get me wrong the mechanics that have been working on my bike are great it's Honda itself that won't do any thing to fix this on going issue wich has now made me wish I had 2 POLARIS"S instead. My fiance is now involved w/ talking to the dealer because if I do I get even more mad just thinking about the issue, let alone going into there
place to "Negotiate". The manager at the dealer ship still insists that I shouldn't recieve any $ back for the clutch. And after all those items were replaced IT FIXED NOTHING!!!
Hope to here back from you guys, Again thanks for the responce.

Little Bull

Old 01-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Something doesn't seem right if they replaced all those parts, the machine still isn't fixed, and you had to pay for it. I work at a honda dealer. Is the dealer in contact w/ Honda on your machine? Obviously, I don't know the whole story but if you had it in there 5 times, i'm assuming they are. At which visit did they replace the clutch? Did Honda suggest replacing the clutch or did the dealer tell you it needed replacing because it was aftermarket? On one hand, I can see why they made you pay for the clutch, Honda isn't going to warranty an aftermarket clutch, and you can't blame them for not wanting to. BUT, it also didn't fix the problem. Assuming your still under warranty, when and if they figure out what is wrong w/ this thing, you may be able to fight for your money back if its something totally unrelated to the clutch. But again, I don't know the whole story and I'm not trying to take anyones side.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey 1988TRX250, Here's some more info for you, We bought the machine in Jan. of 05 and the fisrt time we had it in was Sept. and since then it's been in every month almost to the day. The clutch was replaced rought on the third time in and the dealer was told to look at the clutch by Honda and thats when they called me and gave me the good news LOL. The dealer and I thought and hoped that would fix the prob. but it didn't. We did purchase an extended warranty w/ it. The clutch that I had replaced was the Original Factory Clutch. It was replaced in the middle of Dec. As far as the aftermarket part of the clutch I wanted to put something in that would handle the trails alot better than stock.
I went ot the dealer to pickup a chest protector for my fiance on Sat. and I spoke w/ the shop person whom I've been talking to about this and he (Patrick) stadted that they didn't warranty the clutch because the problem was not found at that piont, but he did say that the clutch did not have to be replaced right away but that it would need it soon, But how soon he was not able to say. I believe him when he told me that he is in contact w/ Honda about fixing the problem but why would it take five or more times to "look at it". I also talked w/ him about when a Tech would be down to the shop to "look at it" and he told me in the begining of Feb.
Oh buy the way the chest protector works well, my fiance had a tree jump out in front of her on the side of a trail, She's very happy to have bought it, mines in the mail!!!

If you want to Email me

Little Bull