Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

should i get 2wd foreman or 2wd rancher?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get 2wd foreman or 2wd rancher?

i went down to abernathys today and was going to pick up a 05 foreman 2wd for $3744.00 cash otd but they didn't have one ready and had to do some recall work on them new tie rod ends and something in the clutch.told me i could wait 2 hrs and get it,i got cold feet and left. anyway while i was checking them out i looked at the 2wd rancher and was impressed.will i miss the power if i decide on a rancher 350 instead of the foreman 500? they are holding a 500 for me till next weekend.iwanted blue,but they only have green.i can get it 50 dollars cheaper at lakehill ms, but it's 100 miles further.they have blue at lakehill.it's my first new atv,always had someone elses junk.just want what's going to make me happy in the long run..................help me decide!!!!!!

Old 11-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

well, first of all, i would STRONGLY recommend you save and get a 4x4. The 2wd rancher will get stuck very easily, and the foreman will get stuck even easier (heavier)

as for the power, the 2wd rancher will have no problem spinning the wheels in the mud. I have a warn 424 on my 4x4 rancher and it's a blast to play with just 2wd. The forman is heaver, and being 2wd it will get stuck and be harder to get out. I depends on what kind of riding you're doing. If you doing just dry trail riding, either one will be fine, but i think the rancher's suspension is a little more comfortable, but i have not personally ridden a new foreman.
the rancher can be a little low on power at times too, especially at the top end.

If you're using it for work or pulling, then get the foreman, the extra power might be a plus there.

Old 11-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I agree, save for 4x4. The resale on 2wd utes are very poor. The value drops like a rock, and the pool of available people (those who would be interested in a 2wd only machine) is alot smaller. Almost everyone whos shopping for a used ute...wants and expects 4x4, or they pass on it, unless the price is very low. The extra you spend now, will come back when you resell.

Having said that, that price on the 05 is a good price, in fact its only a few hundred more than you proably spent on the ozark. You probably wont get beat up too bad on the resale, if this is your starting point.

But, If youre gonna keep it for 5 years, and know you wont need to resell it, then go for either, its surprising what 2wd can go thru. But come winter, 2wd really sux in the snow. It doesnt take much snow, and youre stuck.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the replies,yes i would love to have a 4wd,but it has taken me 2 years to get 4000 together and the wife is trying to part me from it.i need to make a move very soon.financing is not an option for me.i really don't want another used atv.i've had several 4wd polaris' and they were nice while they were running,but they were hard to work on and wore out by the time i got them.the ozark i have is awesome.very nice little bike,but i need bigger.i want a new honda.a friend has a 350 rancher 2wd 05 model and he put 5500 miles on it in one season and only had to change a set of tires and cleaned the airfilter.he is a disabled vet that has a handicap sticker that allows him to ride in the national forest.he uses his like a friggin car!!i will probably go back down to abernathys and get the green foreman 500 although i like the looks of the blue better.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2wd Rancher, and a 2wd Recon, and these machines will go places that you would not imagine a 2wd could! Keep in mind however that I live in the arid southwest, and mud isn't an issue out here. But for climbing over huge rocks, fording streams, etc., the 2wd does just fine with the right tires.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

For that price i would get the foreman 500, a nice rugged quad that will last for years. The blue foremans are sweet looking.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

well,i just closed my deal with unique powersports of sullivan mo. for a foreman 500 2wd,blue.. bought it off ebay.$3700.00 .. otd.. after i told the guy i was definately buying this coming weekend he came right down to $50 below abernathy's price for a olive color (i wanted the blue)....deal done ,deposit made,now just gotta go get it!!!! yeee haaaaw!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ebay auction link

Old 11-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

The rancher and the foreman are both extremely fast quads, the rancher is only a little slower unless it has mud lite tires on it then they will be equal, my friend had a rancher and has beatin many banshees and raptors because of hit tires, the mud lites of course, they are really great tires and i recommend them to anyone. The foreman might be a little faster because it is a 500. Bottom line is the traction, get the rancher with mud lites you wont be dissappointed.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

kingdiamond, Hope you enjoy your new foreman 500, you got a good deal for sure, now just get out there and ride that beast. Let us know how you like it.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

well,the dealer has just offerd me an additional 48 months on top of the 6 month warranty for a total of 54 months extended warranty for $375.00 i think i'll jump on that like a pit bull on a poodle..that will cover me till june of 2010...would anyone disagree that is a smart move.i'm guessing at 2500 miles a year is what i ride ...also i can make payments on the extended warranty as long as i have the 375.00 paid in before my 6 month warranty runs out... excellent!!!!

Quick Reply: should i get 2wd foreman or 2wd rancher?