Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

There will never be a 650EX quad............

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There will never be a 650EX quad............

And here is the reason, looks like the venerable XR650 may be discontinued. This site is from Austalia, but still.......

http://www.hondamotorcycles.com.au/r...+final+run.pdf

They might keep it here in the states, who knows. If not, could the CRF450X then become the Baja bike for team Honda????

Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Red Rider

But, there is a rumor of a future CRF600X????

Old 12-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey reconranger why dont you make your own 650ex with a 400ex or 450r frame

Old 12-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I guess it could be nice for big guys to ride but I can't think of many other reasons to make it.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

By the time Honda makes a new sport quad (650ex) it would prob be so long awaited all the new big bores from yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki, and maybe bomb would have 700's or 800's by then and the 650ex couldnt hang with the crowd. Not saying i wouldnt like a lightweight long travel suspension 650cc sport quad other than the ds(which is heavy) but i dont think honda will be doing anything else in along time.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

pity. austrailian and european sites are usually right and more informative than the US' site.

its dumb for them to discontinue such a dominant bike... but, hey that's honda. they did it to the 250r.

i dont see honda making them just for the states - they are too streamlined for such a move usually what we get the rest gets as far as atv's and stuff are concerned. Sometimes we get them first, sometime they get them first. I know people in australia and they didnt get the 450r until months after we got it even though honda motor co. told them before they told us.

the question is and its what they are probly asking themselves - do they really NEED to make such a bike? sales are good and the 450 has plenty power with the only thing lacking is reverse for the hard core trail people. it's a cost justification that they have to determine if its worthy to put into production. i know ive heard they have been testing a 650ex but for whatever reason chose not to release it yet...i dont know what honda is thinking, but i do know they hate to be out done(even though on some levels they have been). if they were to release such a bike now without efi, it will be obsolete next to the new raptor and may not get the glamour and sales that they hope for right out the box....or..maybe they are in re-grouping mode and may yet suprise us all.... im always glad to see any atv manufacturer come out with new stuff and keep the market and competition alive. the only hope now is that they make a 700Exr to be on par with the Raptor700 or do something that they have rarely done before and keep making the 650 engine, punch it out, outfit it with efi and slap into a quad chassis... it could happen..maybe.

for trivia sake-thats kinda how yamaha came up with the banshee (true story i read somewhere from a yamaha rep)- they had alot of the RZ350 engine parts left over and after regulations changed for street use- rather than have them go to waste they made a quad and stuck the engine in the chassis. they never thought it would be such a huge hit for 19yrs...

Old 12-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

If true (XR 650 discontinued) it would be too bad. I'd bet though, that 450 sales have cut into the 650 market pretty good. It's maybe just not selling too well anymore. It would leave a total vacuum in Honda's already nearly non-existant dual purpose bike line-up. I think they really need to address that area.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the 450 is enough bike for anyone to use, so I'd say that would make the XR650 in less demand. They have only kept it around for the baja anyways, and now the 450 will do the job. Really the only thing the 650 has on the 450 is reliability. Keep in mind that is very important to a lot of people.

Another thing to point out like 20characters said, is just because the bike isn't being made doesn't mean the motor can't go into a quad frame.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Not a good idea to stereotype the general populus.... The 450 doesn't even come close to being 'enough' for me and the majority of our riding group.

When they build one with around 80-90 HP, that might be getting close.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Red Rider

The CRF450X is becoming wildly popular in the desert (and the 250X on the trails), and all my dirt bike buddies who have them say they love them. So, like has been pointed out, is an XR650 really necessary???

The reason I would like to see the 650 in a quad, isn't at all an issue of horsepower. A YFZ 450 is faster than a Raptor 700EFI, so displacement doesn't mean much in the modern scheme of things! I want it because it is a solid, indestructable engine that would be perfect for desert racing. Why do you think team Honda desert races the XR650???

But, there is no XR400 anymore, yet that engine lives on in the 400EX. So who knows???? But, looks like Honda has put all its eggs in the 450X/250X basket for off-road, so a 650 living on in a quad frame doesn't sound likely.

Quick Reply: There will never be a 650EX quad............