Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon or Sportsman 500 HO?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000 | 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Like Bill said, its about personnal preference. Some features on a quad are more important than others. This varies from person to person.

Really this is a Ford VS Chevy type question. The only right answer is the one you take home from the dealer.

Old 11-05-2000 | 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

Ive rode both and I bought the Rubicon. Living here in Alaska, yes the Rubicon works just fine in 20Plus below temps, thank you very much. Now on to real points. I ride with a AC and SP500's, and other Hondas I might add. The Rubicon has more power than anything else i might add except for the new HO. However the power the HO has over the Rubicon is not in torque, it is in top end, up here i could care less about top end. If i was back in Nebraska in the Sand Hills it might me another story. However I bought the Rubicon for reliability, resale, solid axles, engine design, and no water problems with tranny in a auto at ALL. People can say whatever they want about SP and others auto and they have NEVER had a problem. However I invite those same owners to come up here in ride in 80 to 90 % watered trails all summer and see which is more dependable. So I disagree, the tranny along is worth it, but for me the solid axle was another, pulling moose out of the tundra is not a wise or easy task. With irs it is even worse, I have witnessed it and was glad to loose a little ride for actual use when hunting. So the SP might have the #'s to say it is better, but those numbers aren't any better 5 years to 10 years later when it goes into trading it in. That was the biggest reason.

Old 11-05-2000 | 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

So the Rubicon is better you say? How do you know this it's not even for sale in Canada yet!As for being cheaper you better ask again, everyone is getting a $1000 more quote for the Rubicon when it finally get up here.Our Honda dealer wants $1200 more for Rubicon than a 2001SP sells for, when it ever gets here. Thats for a bike with less power ,full time 3wd ,rougher ride and got it,s butt kick by the SP in it,s last shootout.

Old 11-06-2000 | 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

OR, you could just wait until the new Kawi 650 V-Twin comes out. It is supposed to be very good.

Old 11-07-2000 | 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

The new Kawasaki has me drooling

Does anybody have a release date for the new Kawasaki?

Old 11-08-2000 | 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with the people that say it all comes down to preference and what is important to you. This goes for quads, trucks, or anything else.

For example, I prefer not to date fat chicks. Some guys like fat chicks. Does this mean that a fat woman is not as good as a hot babe. I have to say no. Fat woman are more likely to be faithful and humble. Hot babes are more likely to buck the system and talk back to their men. Is it worth the extra hassle? Well, to me it is. Does it irritate me when the guys drools over my woman at the lake? Not really, if I wanted a woman that no one would look at, I would have married an ugly fat woman. I know that many of you guys prefer ugly fat woman, and I respect you for that. I understand in some ways your life will be easier than mine, but that is the price I pay for hooking up with a babe.

All of this correlates to quads as well. I understand that my SP500 will be higher maintenace than the Rubicon. However, just like in picking my wife, I weighed my decision differently than another person would. There are qualities in the SP500 that I could not get with the Rubicon and vise versa. Once again, there is a price to be paid, and I have chosen to pay it.

Greg

Old 11-08-2000 | 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

There is also the very good chance you will get that SP or babe that is faithful,humble and won't talk back also,which is a big bonus.

Old 11-08-2000 | 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

You are correct, but this is a Honda forum; therefore, I wouldn't even dream of comparing Polaris reliabilty to that of Honda's. I also would refrain from discussing hot woman that do not talk back. The last thing I would like to do is promote envy on behalf of the Honda/Fat Chick lovin public.

Greg

Old 11-08-2000 | 04:13 PM
Pro Rider