Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rubicon starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubicon starting issues

A few weeks ago several of you were kind enough to give me suggestions on what to do with a Rubicon that was not eager to start. Many of the posts helped me get the engine started but did not get me any closer to discovering the problem. I made an appointment to get the closest Honda shop to look at the machine and fix the problem. My wife then made a comment to my son about always holding back to keep from pushing me. I decided then I Had a power problem also. I had had a local shop (Artic Cat) gap and install a new plug for me last summer. What the heck, I have some wrenches and now have the wire type gauge. I pulled the plug and found .085" for the setting. I reset the plug at .035", installed it in the engine and immedietely found I did not have a starting problem any more. I then took a little ride and it was just like buying a new machine. All the power is back and the engine starts quite easily now. Seems I should remember to start at the beginning when trying to resolve an issue. Back to the basics........Tass

Old 12-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Guess you don't need the primer anymore!

Old 12-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Dang, it's tough to think that the shop didn't find the plug that far off. (Uness they gapped that way by mistake.) That's WAAAAY off.

Anyhow, glad to hear that all is good!

Old 12-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

We had 3 weekends in a row with near zero degree mornings. I have rigged up an extension so hitting the primer is a breeze. Even with the plug gapped correctly, two pushes on the primer, tap the starter and we were in business. No wear and tear on the battery or the starter, rest assured Propnut, the primer is a tool I will continue to use. Idaho Vinnie, they installed the plug and were supposed to have gapped it or at least checked it. I called them and told them what I had found.............They said they would provide a new plug and the installation at no cost when I felt I needed one........They are good people to deal with...
I got the grip warmers on for my wife also.........boy do they put out the heat. Next step is the thumb warmer, need to keep the little Indian happy....Tass

Old 12-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all very strange. I mean I'm glad you found the problem. But if you're using the correct plug (the correct NGK letters escape me), with the tiny electrode...you shouldn't gap it. For starters, they come pre-gapped. Also, the material in the electrodes is VERY brittle, and if bent, is in danger of breaking. You don't want that to happen in the engine by the way. We also carry BRP products, and the NGK "BC" plugs, i.e. BR9ECS are the same way...Don't gap 'em!! Up here in MN, we are also using one range hotter plugs in the Winter (Honda spec recommended) and the feedback I've gotten is that helps quite a bit.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

Thanks DZZY, maybe they got a defect from the box?? I was not aware the electrode was any different and you are correct, the post is simply a tiny platinum? wire. I will get a new plug and install it before I ride any more, I certainly would not want to put the electrode through a valve or a piston...............Tass

Old 12-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dzzy
But if you're using the correct plug (the correct NGK letters escape me), with the tiny electrode...you shouldn't gap it. For starters, they come pre-gapped. Also, the material in the electrodes is VERY brittle, and if bent, is in danger of breaking. We also carry BRP products, and the NGK "BC" plugs, i.e. BR9ECS are the same way...Don't gap 'em!!
I respectfully disagree. If the gap was .085", that is way off specs. Most plugs do come pre-gapped, but generally, they are in the .028" to .035" range.

The main reason for the platinum tip, is that platinum is more resistant to deterioration during normal firing of the plug, therefore staying within specs for a longer period of time.

BTW, it's great to hear that your dealer was so eager to assist you, and maintain a happy customer!

Old 12-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

IdahoVinnie, I don't think he was implying that the plug was correctly gapped

he's right, I've checked many many NGKs (I wanted all the cylinders the same within .001" on my 2 stroke triples - and you never know if someone took it out of the box and dropped it, closing the gap) and I don't remember even one being out of spec.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: propnut
IdahoVinnie, I don't think he was implying that the plug was correctly gapped
Ahh. My mistake if that is the case.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I'm saying is...some plugs you shouldn't bend the electrode. If the gap isn't correct, they should be replaced. If they've been dropped and the gap is closed, turn them down at the parts counter and ask for a different one. The platinum plugs with the fine tips are among these...so are certain BRP snowmobile plugs with an NGK "C" designation...for example BR9ECS. That's what the Mfg. says...I'm not makin' it up. Now the traditional plugs, like BR9ES, or DPR8EA9...bend away.

Quick Reply: rubicon starting issues