Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

trx350 carb question please !

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx350 carb question please !

i've got a 1991 TRX350 it sounds like the needle needs to be changed. happened to mine too. my new problem is the fuel pump vibrates for about 8 seconds when tring to start. not pumping any fuel though. any ideas?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey trunner,

You are the only other TRX350, 1991 owner I have run into. What a buggar trying to order parts when the parts places all say, "I only show it to 1989". There is no 1991 TRX350". Monkey muffins I say, heres a picture of the tag.

Oh well, I will get it running properly soon I hope. Have carb kit on the way.
Cheers

Paul

Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canada had the TRX350D from 1986 until 1994

Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just thought of something else my first atv was a 86' Honda TRX 350FM Foreman full time limiited slip 4WD , it was the model with huge straight axle front and the straight shaft drive to the double shock straight swingarm axle on the rear ; it also had the metal gas tank mounted under the seat ! There was another thing i forgot to tell you about my old TRX 350 the spark plug gap had to be set at 0.030 to 0.032 for it to run without it cutting out and back firing if it was set at the Honda factory reccomened setting , evertime i took the a shop for any repair work that involved a tune up when i got it back and started to try to wind it out though the gear's it would start up cutting out and back firing ; i would get out my tool kit from under the seat and checked spark plug it would be set at the factory setting and i would set it at 0.032' and it wound run like new again ! So i just thought it would be worth trying , my brother had a Kawasaki Bayou 350 that did the same thing ! ................

Old 08-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

hey, ya it was kind of a relief to see annother 1991 TRX as i've yet to hear of anyone with the same machine for 7 years now. someone posted that canada had this model until 94. wierd though since no mechs know this. they all say the same thing...maybe the frame's been swapped. didn't make sence until today. but as far as parts go, i've always ordered 89 parts. seem to be ok, considering the thing hasn't run for a couple years. where do you live? canada? hows your machine? any fuel pump issues?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi trunner,

I live in the Okanagan valley, BC. I think this machine is all original. It was owned by the forest service for a while. Overall, it looks very rough, fenders broken, racks cracked, lights bent etc. but it runs fine most of the time. It's definately a 1991 TRX350. I changed the plug to a hotter one, NGK DR7ES, and it seems to run better. Gap set to .030". I have a carb kit on the way for it as it still runs rich, and the throttle sticks open once in a while. The brakes barely work which is not a good thing with a sticky throttle. :-)

I'll keep you posted with my progress.

No problems with the fuel pump ...yet. It hums along just fine.

I still need shocks for it as well but am not going to pay $200 ea from Honda. Looking for aftermarket..do you know of any?

Cheers

Paul

Old 08-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

check ebay. i've been finding alot of cheap parts there for my truck and atv. i'll never buy retail again. thanks for the tips. i hope the spark plug gap solves my other problem too. never thought to check gap width. everything is mint on my machine. body, suspension, brakes. sounds like if we were to put ours together we'd have a pretty nice machine. ha ha.

Thanks
Tom

Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well this is too funny (well not really)..I was driving down to my water well when the ATV quit. right at the bottom of the driveway...about 1km long,. ARG!! Walked back up got the truck and towed it back to the shop. Still can't get it started. Lot's of spark....maybe it's the fuel pump. he he When I dropped the fuel line to the carb though, it pumped gas when I turned it over so I don't think it's the pump. I'll wait until I get the carb kit and rebuild it then try to figure it out.

cheers

Paul

Old 08-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Paul,
finally got my 91 running. it's been a long time (2 years+) only its not running well. it seems to only start/run in full choke. as soon as i let out the choke, it starts to rev really high. ever seen this?

Tom

Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Tom,

Mine is the complete opposite. When I start it without choke ( I have never needed the choke) it starts great and then then revs up sort of half throttle. It will slow down after about 15 seconds, then it is fine. If I put on the choke while it is at high throttle, it will slow back down to idle speed. Mmm.

Going to rebuild the carb this week. The kit arrived Friday.

Still won't start, well, it starts then dies after 1 second. Pump is running, and the plug is clean and there is sprk when the plug is out. Maybe the coil is getting weak??

Cheers

Paul

Quick Reply: trx350 carb question please !