Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

trx350 carb question please !

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx350 carb question please !

Well, I found the problem. Reason it wouldn't start is that the main needle lost it's E clip and the needle was just sitting in the jet, detached from the plunger. I rebuilt the carb and put in all the new parts. It now starts, runs okay but I need some help with the intial settings.

Does anyone have a service manual or link to the setup procedure? Things I need are as follows:

Initial position of main needle, there are 5 slots that it could hang in adjustable by moving the E clip
Initial turns out on the idle screw
Initial gap for the main needle lever (under the black plastic cover)

That should get me going. It starts right up but has a huge flat spot when you goose the throttle (way lean??) If you push slowly, no problem, lot's of top end power. It's like an accelerator pump is not working on an automotive carb.

Cheers

Paul

Old 03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Paul and Tom with the 1991 Honda TRX350 ATVs. I just picked up one of these and have been finding the same problems you guys had with finding any info on the quad. Let alone parts and repair manual which I need. I googled and found your posts and thats about it. I gather its a made for Canada model? I'm over in BC. I've heard that it is similar to the 86-89 TRX350. Was this a US only model or did they have it here too? Have you guys found parts for these models that work on the 91? What about a repair manual? Any info appreciated!

Mike

Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Mike,

Welcome to club of sputering Canadian TRX350s.

Mine has been running about 80% for the last 6 months, right through winter. the carb still isn't setup quite right, has aflat spot off idle and then again low to mid throttle. I just haven't spent the time to perfect it.

No, I havent found a service or owners manual for it. My local (Vernon) Honda dealer has been good at giving me copies out of their service book for a few things I have needed. Otherwise, the machine is running fine.

Still need shocks.

Where in BC are you?

Cheers

Paul

Old 03-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Paul,

I'm near Victoria. Sounds like you're 350s still giving you good times. The local honda dealer here can only find a factory service manual from Honda priced at $115...ouch. I think I need to adjust spark plug and valve gaps, clean carb, and maybe do the rings on it. It smokes quite badly sometimes. Otherwise its perfect (ha). When you've gotten parts what model were they for? The earlier 350s?

I've got some photos of the beast at Text

Mike

Old 03-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

H iMike,

Only parts I have bought are the carb kit for $28 from somewhere in ONT. can't remember and a wheel/tire from ebay. Yours looks to be in roughly the same condition as mine, but your seat is better and you are missing less plastic.

I just use mine for running around the property, checking the well, getting Christmas tree, going to neighbours etc. Works fine.

Keep us posted on any progress.

Cheers
Paul

Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

THanks Paul, I'll try the 89 parts and manual and hope for the best. I'm using mine for building a small cabin off in the woods so I need it to stay alive.

Mike

Old 03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

hey mike. haven't checked out this site or my machine in a long while. last year near the end of summer i did make some headway but had to stop (too bloody cold to work outside any more) this winter in MB was freakin cold. one of the worst ones i can recall, so didn't use it much. The parts to buy are '89 only just to be sure, as 86-88 had some minor differences. Basicly what i've found out is in the U.S they changed the TRX for the 90 model year and we in canada did not. we continued on for a few more years building the TRX the same as the 89 model with no changes. so any literature printed on the 90 and up probably comes from the states and resembles their 90 - 94 models. anyhow buy parts on ebay or some online shop (way cheaper that way) and order for an 89. i was able to order the repair manual from my honda dealer for about 40 bucks. it will say on the cover " 86 - 87 TRX350 Fourtrax 4x4 / 87 - 89 TRX350D FOREMAN 4x4 " the last one is your machine 350D Foreman. they can be nice machines but a little tempermental.
hope some of this helps
tom

Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Tom, good info. The honda motorcycle rep/dealer here wants $115 for it but I might be able to get it through the state cheaper. I assume this will work for the canadian models. I believe this is the one you speak of Text Good tip on ebay too...quick search and they had a few bits and pieces for the 89. Hopefullly I can keep riding it throughout the year...we don't get your winters over here on Vancouver Island...though sometimes I think I'd trade rain for snow.

Cheers...Mike

Old 03-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

hey paul. where did you get your carb rebuild kit from? i wanna buy one but unable to find online. did u get from a dealer?

Old 03-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

hey mike. how did you insert the link to your photos in the post? it has a highlighted word "text" and when i clicked it sent me to some photos. i'd like to be able to do that.
tom

Quick Reply: trx350 carb question please !