Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

First time buyer leaning toward Kodiak 400. Have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006 | 08:48 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default First time buyer leaning toward Kodiak 400. Have a few questions.

edit: Sorry I meant to post this in the Yamaha forum. My apologies. Moderator can you please move this to the appropriate forum.

My father is looking to purchase his first ATV. He's leaning toward the Kodiak 400 with his top three being:

Kodiak 400
Honda Rancher A/T 400
Kawasaki Praire 360

He likes the features included on the Kodiak vs. the Rancher. At a couple of the dealers we've visited the Rancher has been about $1,000 more everywhere. The kawasaki has the best price but he doesn't really like it that much. I've taken several trips to the Hatfield/McCoy trails and one of the guys that I ride with has a Rancher so I'm familiar with it and personally like it. Another rider that tags along has a 660 Grizzly and the Kodiak has all the same features as the Grizzly except engine size. I've heard rumors about the Kodiak now having as much power as some would like. His main use is for hunting and probably little or no trail riding unless I take it with me next year.

So I guess my question is the Rancher or Kodiak a better choice? Taking price out of the equation is there something that one offers that the other doesn't that note worthy?

Also I stumbled upon http://www.southernhonda.com in Tennessee. The dealer we visited this past week made mention to the place and how they "try" to compete with their prices but just can't. We're in Virginia and I've been looking for a good Yamaha dealer. People around here mention there is a place in Beckly, West Virginia but haven't really found out which yet.

I appreciate any advice and recommendations.
Wesley

Old 01-09-2006 | 11:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default First time buyer leaning toward Kodiak 400. Have a few questions.

If dad can go a bit higher, the 450 kodiak is a better choice. The diff lock and low range, are worth the extra.
Between the honda and the kodi 400, the big difference is the tranny. The belt drive vs hydrostaic. the honda isnt a power house, and can barely spin its own tires. Its not as quick, and with the solid rear axle, has much less ground clearance. Did you see the bomb outlander commercial? Its another option, plus it has a 5 year warentee, the honda and yami have 6 months.
Neither one likes bigger or more agressive tires, stock only on these . With out a low range, they just cant turn them in the mud, and they get real doggy on acceleration.
The honda has a torque senseing differential in front, the yami has a speed sensing type. The torque sensing is much better.
The honda might be a bit more reliable, and probably has higher resell value, but the kodi will be more fun to drive.
My 2 cents