Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2001 RUBICON Can't delete code #6

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 RUBICON Can't delete code #6

I have a 2001 rubicon it went in limp mode code #6 I did all the test by the book everything was good .I checked the angle sensor it read 22k(ohms) the book said it was good someone told me it might be bad anyway so I got a new one it read 24k.So I put the new one in from the dealer and the same thing you erase the code and turn the key off and on the code is back. I tried another used ecm the bike it came off was smashed in the front the bike still ran it was the same thing.

Any help of any kind would be appreciated THANKS

Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

hi
maybe try and reset it turn off the key then disconnect the battery and let it sit for awhile.
it might work and it might not but its worth a try.
when you do get it figured out let us know what the problem was.
good luck.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

No I tried that a few different times Thanks for the reply any other suggestions ?. I had this problem 9 or 10 months I called dozens of dealers talked to different techs no one ever worked on the Rubicon except for minor problems. A friend told me to check here he said that there are a lot of great Honda techs on this site so I am trying to pick there minds. Thanks

Old 02-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have you tried to clear the 6 and reset?

Try this.

1. Put the gear shift lever in neutral (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and the ignition switch OFF (vehicle at a stop).
2. While pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP) simultaneously, turn the ignition key to the on position.
3. Release the UP and DOWN switches immediately, then at the same time push both the UP and DOWN shift switches again and hold for more than 2 seconds.
4. The problem code is displayed by a certain number of blinks “ - - “ on the gear indicator, which indicates the problem code by the number of blinks. If “N” (neutral) stays ON on the position indicator, the retrieval process was not correctly performed. Repeat the procedures from step one at this time.)
5. When the problem code(s) displays, release the shift switches.

You should see “ - - “ for approximately 3 seconds then off, then the “ - - “ should flash, once for code one, twice for code two and so on. The engine control module (ECM) can store two different codes. If your ECM has stored two different codes, the first code displayed is the most recent and the second code is the earlier code. Write them down.
To Erase the Problem codes
1. Push and hold the UP and DOWN shift switches simultaneously for 3 seconds of more while the problem code is being displayed (i.e., “ - - “ blinking on the gear position indictor).
2. When the erasure is completed, the blinking pattern changes to the erasure confirmation blink.
3. Turn the ignition off.

Initial Setting Procedure
Note:
· After replacement of any of the following parts, perform the initial setting procedure below.
- ECM
- Throttle sensor*
- Angle sensor
*Also, perform the initial setting procedure if the throttle cable is disconnected (i.e., car-buretor removal/installation, cable replacement etc.).
· The gear position blinks in Indicator Mode 2 when the initial setting was not made properly. Repeat the procedure from step 2.
1. Start the engine and let it idle about one minute with the sub-transmission in neutral. Stop the engine.
2. Make sure the gearshift lever is in the neutral position (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift switches) simultaneously.
4. Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift switches in the order of UP, DOWN, and UP. Do not hold the switches in).
5. A constant “ - - “ indication stays ON on the gear selector indicator. (If the gear position indicator shows a continuous “N”, repeat the procedure from step 2.)
6. Move the throttle lever to the fully closed position, then to the fully open position, and then move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after “ - - “ comes ON on the gear position indicator.
7. Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to adjust the angle sensor).
8. When the initial setting procedure is complete, the indication on the gear selector indicator changes from the continuous lighting of “ - - “ to the continuous lighting of “N”.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Did you preload the angle sensor when you installed it? I didn't see this mentioned so that's why I'm asking.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Did you preload the angle sensor when you installed the new one?
If I remeber right also #6 is motor lock/ angle sensor. I have ran across this also you put in a new sensor and intilize the ecm and code comes up again. Call Honda said to remove shift motor and make sure that gear turns 12 turns smoothly (you have to have the angle sensor removed to do this) then set it at halve way (6 turns).
This is really hard to do so you may just have to bring it into a shop.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tried everything you suggested as far as deleting the code I tried this a couple of times it is all in the manual I have. I also preloaded the angle sensor and I had the shift motor off to check it .It also works fine but I am going out to take the motor and sensor off and try moving the gears I will let you know what happens. Thanks for the heads up on that one and keep coming up with suggestions.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK cluby I checked the drive motor and sensor again just for the hell of it both OK so I tried turning the little gear it will only turn 1 maybe 2 teeth is there a certain gear or something else I am not doing right? I had it in D1 and Neutral I looked through the manual and can't find anything about testing that .Thanks again