Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Getting It Up When You're Alone

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting It Up When You're Alone

Is there any way to stand a Rubicon or Foreman 500 on it's rear rack so you can work/clean the underside by yourself? I suppose if you had a winch... but wondering if one person can persuade 600 pounds to stand at attention.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I really doubt it, if you mean by hand.
You can always try a come along, they are pretty cheap, as long as you have a place high enough to attach it, and can stand on a ladder to do it. It may be a bit tricky alone to let it back down, when youre done.

Id be interested to hear of a good way too.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

Put it in reverse chaulk the wheels and lift with everything you have got. During all the grunting and straining you will get a hernia and hemroids. lol

Old 02-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Range Rover

put your ramps almost vertical against something sturdy and drive up to a point where you can put the bike on its rack manually

Old 02-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

the way i prefer most is to attach a tow strap from your front racks to a rafter of something thats rather sturdy and just drive the quad forward and the quad will climb and eventually end up on its racks. make sure theres not much slack in the rope and keep away from the wall infront of you as you will get close to it.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Rip a wheelie and stand it on the racks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Other than that put some ramps leading up to your truck and wash it that way.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

I don't know how tall you are but I am 6' 3" and I can pick my 05 Rubi up and put it on it's rear rack by myself. First put the quad in reverse and apply the parking break. Then you grab the front bumper with your palms facing down and pick up the front end and put your knee under the front skid plate, then turn your palms up and push the front end up. I think that it would be very hard if not impossible for someone short to do this. Like I said, I am 6' 3" and weigh 230 lbs and I can do it without help. In my opinion standing it up is the only way to get all of the mud off. If this method doesn't work for you then try one of the other methods mentioned above.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I knew there'd be some innovative ways mentioned. Some time ago in one of the forums a guy mentioned he just put the front tires against a concrete wall, put the quad in foreward and it would crawl up the wall. Don't know if he had a heavy machine though. Also seems like you'd have to get it inclined a little to start. I like the strap/rafter idea. Best not have a spastic thumb though.

Cirviver, you lift weights? Seems like alot of weight to pick up and get balanced. I did see a volkswagen standing upright against the entrance to the girls dorm in college, but pretty sure more than one guy did it!

Old 02-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Didn't know what to expect with the title of the thread [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2006, 04:05 AM
Trailblazer

You could always use a winch. On my other post about a rear shock I used the winch to lift the other atv of the ground.