Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Can a Warn 424 be mounted on the Rack (no drilling)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a Warn 424 be mounted on the Rack (no drilling)

Can the or has anyone seen a Warn 424 disconnect swtich mounted on the front (throttle side) iof a rancher on the Rack?
Im thinking as hard as it is to engage the 424 it would wear out the plastic after a while or come loose. I dont like the idea of drilling holes in the quad also becuase I plan on selling in a few years.
I figure I would use Ubolts that come with the kit or buy larger ones if needed to accomadte the rack anyone foresee problems?

Old 02-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Range Rover

Well, when I was searching for info on the Warn 424 on this forum, I recall reading a post by a forum member that mentioned they had attached theirs to the front rack. Might try a search on the Warn 424, lots of info on here.

I also have a friend in IL. that installed his in the glove box, left of the gas tank on his 2006 model. Looks good and is out of the way. Not sure if your model has the glove box, so that may not be an option for you. But, like you, I don't want to mount mine to the cowling either, for the simple fact it looks like it would work loose or break the plastic eventually. When mine gets in (hopefully today) I'll be examining exactly where I want to mount it. Same goes for the Warn Winch Remote recepticle, I don't want a hole that big in my plastic.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

yes, i mounted mine to my front rack on the left side. You might have to buy a u-bolt to wrap around the tube of the
rack. Then use the nuts you get with the u-bolt to secure the mounting braket to the rack, the slots are just wide
enough to fit. When you run the cable up out of the front diff area, take the handle thingy apart (BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE LITTLE BALL BEARING THINGS, THERE ARE TWO OF THEM IN THE **** ASSY) then route the cable through the hole in the front plastic on the left side. There is a hole where the rack mount goes through. It's a little tight, but you can get the cable through there.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

i don't know what this hard engagement is that your talking about but i have the 424 bolted to the plastic, and for 2 year's have had 0 problems

Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Range Rover

That is good to know littleBill

Old 02-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

I mounted my control to the plastic also. Why? Well, i don't plan on selling my Rancher or trading it in on a new one any time soon in the next few years. If I do decide to sell it or trade it.....more than likely I will trade "up" or buy a bigger atv and the Warn 424 that's on the Rancher won't fit, so it goes with the Rancher!

Old 02-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ddrumman2004
I mounted my control to the plastic also. Why? Well, i don't plan on selling my Rancher or trading it in on a new one any time soon in the next few years. If I do decide to sell it or trade it.....more than likely I will trade "up" or buy a bigger atv and the Warn 424 that's on the Rancher won't fit, so it goes with the Rancher!
Im glad you got your 4 wheeler set up like you like. I have different taste and prefer to mount it on the rack or other location where holes odnt have to be drilled.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks goodoleboy but where are you going to route the control cable in order to not put any sharp bends in the cable? On my 05 Rancher, there is two holes where the front rack goes through the plastic and bolts to the frame. The other two mounting points are on the very front of the machine. There was no way for me to mount my control cable on the front rack without putting a sharp bend in it or to make it easy to get to while driving.

The little so called "storage" box on the Rancher is a good location but I use mine to carry a cell phone and other things out on the trail and I don't really want to drive around with that cover off in order to get to the control. I want it easily accessible and because of an injury to my left hand years ago, I had to mount mine on the right hand side.

Like I said, I doubt I will ever remove the 424 but if I did, a couple of those push type connectors Honda uses on the fenders will fill those holes.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

Some people might have the idea to remove the 424 and sell it on Ebay. I doubt a person would see ANY increase in trade in value with it installed. I figure the glove box is a cheap and easily replaced item if a person wanted to sell the unit with no holes in it. Then on the other hand, with the 424 installed, an individual might get a better price selling it out right. To each his own, there is no die hard right or wrong way.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

just realize too, the rack is far far away, and if you need to switch to 4x4 on the fly to not get stuck your going to have a very hard time doing so. also put it on the left hand side toward the rear brake my buddy put it on the right, and now he almost stops dead before he engages it and gets back on the throttle

Quick Reply: Can a Warn 424 be mounted on the Rack (no drilling)