Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Wheel spacers????

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers????

i was thinking about buying front wheel spacers for my 400ex...i was wondering if they are a good thinkg to buy?

Old 03-09-2006, 01:15 AM
SFA
Range Rover

NO, I would NEVER put wheel spacers on the front of an atv. Not only do they through your suspension out of whack they also make your scrub radius horrible, making your steering harder and just plain goofy. Wheel spacers can also come loose causing big problems. They make wider a arms for a reason, and shocks setup different to deal with wider a arms (more leverage over stock length). Wheel spacers are a big no no in my book on an atv.

Fogot to mention they adding wheelspacers will also cause your wheelbearings to wear out much faster. As well as put alot more strain on your spindles. Also if you hit something with your front tire it's going to have alot more leverage and transmit that force to your wrists.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

i'm 100% with SFA

i have some on my rear wheels and even though they gave me 2 extra inches, i lost some power on acceleration because of their weight. You always have to go chek for your bolts because i lost my rear left wheel last year and it wasn't funny. I switched my front wheels around to match the rears, but i'm buying some a-arms and an axle very soon, the bump steer is awfull.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

lell i disagree. i been running spacers front n back for over 3yrs no problums. ben flat landing at 15ft of air too. no problums.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Just wondering about something. Is it posible to take the front tires off, turn them around, and remount them? This will change the wheel offset to the other side and give a 2 inch offset over stock. I realize this is the same as wheel spacers, as far as stress on components, but it would be a free way to check and see how spacers feel. I have the douglas rims, and its no problem to flip them around, but im sure stock wheels should allow this too.
Alot cheaper than wheel spacers, and if you have directional tread on front, just swap them side to side as well.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:00 PM
SFA
Range Rover

Originally posted by: getdrunk
lell i disagree. i been running spacers front n back for over 3yrs no problums. ben flat landing at 15ft of air too. no problums.
Huh ?

Old 03-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Just wondering about something. Is it posible to take the front tires off, turn them around, and remount them? This will change the wheel offset to the other side and give a 2 inch offset over stock. I realize this is the same as wheel spacers, as far as stress on components, but it would be a free way to check and see how spacers feel. I have the douglas rims, and its no problem to flip them around, but im sure stock wheels should allow this too.
Alot cheaper than wheel spacers, and if you have directional tread on front, just swap them side to side as well.
meh , if I where you, i woudn't switch over your nice douglas rims, cause you need to change the valves to....so you must drill holes in your nice aluminum !![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabuster
yes you can. BUT what you have to do is take the valve stem and put it in backwords so it dont hit your caliper. then you have to drill a new whole for a diffrnt valve on the other side of the rim.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Im not too concerned about the douglas rims, they have a few necks and scratches on them. I figured the valve stems would clear, because of the different offset. Ill have to check that out.