Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

04 Rubicon shifting and brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Rubicon shifting and brake problems

I have a couple of problems on my 04 Rubicon. 1st of all I don't have a shop manual for it, but my brake lights don't work. I checked all of the fuses and they are okay. Does anyone know where the brake light switch is?

Other problem. When I had it in Low Range, it would pop out and make a grinding noise under stress. I loosened up the bolts on the shifter and the shifter plate(4 bolts total), and now it works fine in Low. I had to tip the shifter back, so that it would go into L all of the way. Now makes the same noise that it used to, but when it is in Drive mode. If I push the shifter handle past D, toward the L, it works fine. I can't turn the shifter back anymore, is there a perfect place that the shifter will work fine? Any help is appreciated, thanks

Old 03-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

'01 to '04 Rubicons do not have brake lights, which is probably why yours don't work. Honda didn't put brake lights on the Rubicon until '05 when they redesigned it.

As far as your shifter, I'm not sure what to tell you otherthan check the linkage pivot on the front engine cover. I have seen these come loose on early Rubicons. If its loose, a dab of locktite will help it from coming loose again.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you, I will check that out. Are there any simple aftermarket setups for brake lights?

Old 03-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 04Rubi
Thank you, I will check that out. Are there any simple aftermarket setups for brake lights?
If you can find a brake light to put on the machine, it would be very easy to wire up. What I did on my 250R was installed a 450R tail/brake lite which bolted right up. I used the stock tail light and ground wires which you would be able to use also. For the brake light switch, Parts Unlimited sells brake banjo bolts w/ pressure switches built in. You could replace your front banjo bolt on the master cylinder, run a hot wire to the switch and then run the other wire to the brake light. You won't be able to do this for the rear because they are cable operated. Not sure if you could buy the switch, perch and brake lever for the left hand brake on an '05 and wire it up. I haven't compared the two set ups before to see if it would work but that may be an option if you want more than one switch to activate the brake lights.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Range Rover

I have heard that you can buy a brake light kit but i`ve never looked into it.Her is a link to site where in the How-To section a member tells how he put his own kit in his recons and rancher, he only did it on the hand brake lever, http://www.hondaforeman.com/phpBB2/index.php you might need to create a username to veiw it.

As foor the shift problem i have a problem where mine won`t lock in until i give it some gas i was told to spray lossing oil on all the joints which should make it slip right in to gear.