Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RECON - what spares to get for Uganda

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RECON - what spares to get for Uganda

I operate a fleet of ATVs which includes 10 '04 and '05 RECONS. Our nearest dealer is 2000km away. I am currently putting together a list of spares to purchase to supplement those that we have. The RECONS have proved to be very reliable through thick and thin but I would appreciate suggestions as to what things go wrong over time (looking through the Honda forum it seems that the most problems occur with the ES which we don't have and the occasional carb problem - normally dirt in the vent tube or under the float needle valve.

What about the chassis, transmittion etc.? Can anyone recommend spares that I will probably need in the future. I have spare rims, and swivel joints, tie-rod ends.

Can anyone recommend a good place for me (not living in the USA) to buy them from?

Thanks, PK.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had a 99 recon for 4 or 5 years, beat the hell out of it. I really never needed to replace anything other than front brake shoes, and I added an aftermarket swingarm skid to protect the expensive differential, because the stock ones aren't very strong. The only time I put major money into it was when I replaced all the tires and the front wheels, and when I did the rebuild before I sold it, which required new valves, piston, rings, the gaskets, and the clutch was starting to go on it so I replaced that too.

It would probably be a good idea to get some spare bearings for the front hubs, rear axle, a-arms, swingarm, and shocks, because that's something that will wear out on all quads evenutally. Maybe get a couple complete gasket sets, so if something would start leaking you'll have the gasket right there already.

That's about all I can think of, Honda did an AMAZING job engineering the Recon, it really is a bulletproof machine, possibly the most reliable quad ever built by ANY company.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info recon99. My experience having had customers put em into trees and over rocks etc. is the same. They just seem to keep going and after all the hassels that we have had with other types of quad I love they way we generally just have to check the oil and tyres each day. They don't bend much and even the bodywork just pops back poretty much into shape. I used to race Honda powered roadrace outfits after being a Kawasaki man since the Z900 first came out and will never go back that way. We want to start dealing in Hondas over here soon. There is no one selling them between Dubai and Jo'burg which adds up to a lot of untapped territory.