Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How Do I make my 05 Rancher AT Faster

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I make my 05 Rancher AT Faster

I am new to this I bought 2 05 Rancher AT's last July. One for me and one for my wife. The wife is good to go, but I am hooked and ride every weekend. I have already outgrown mine. I love everything about my guad but I want more power (alot more)! Can you guy's tell me what to do to make my Rancher more powerful? Eventally I am looking at lift's, tires, and skid plates. But right now i just want more power for trail riding and hill climbs.

Thanks
Brian
05 Rancher AT (Stock)

Old 03-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

jet kit, aftermarket airfilter, and an exhaust pipe! Look at supertrapp for the pipe!

Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

Hey ATCrazy,

Trade it in. I have added a uni filter, jet kit, Hmf eco exhaust, and a perfex suspension. After spending all of that money, I realize I should have just bought a new quad. The add-ons helped, but not enogh to matter. I should have just traded it in on a bigger quad. It seems like alot of rancher owners move up to the Kawasaki Brute Force SRA.
That is just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

keep the rancher, they are great atvs! they have plenty of power to ride mud, through the woods and anything else! The only reason for the brute force is if you want to go alot faster at tops speeds or to pull 27 or 28 inch tires for mudding! The rancher is just fine with a decent mud tire and a lift kit!

Old 03-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

Jetenuts,

I think there is more to it. I see you have an ES. I think that makes a big difference. I really like my Rancher AT(notice the AT at the end). I like the size and stability. The AT's auto robs a little bit of power. So its not the low end torque monster the foreman, rubicon or the rancher(S or ES model) is for that matter. I believe that with the filter, jet kit and pipe on my quad , your es still would have more power to the wheels than my AT. Plus, if you want to go fast, the ranchers suspension is really not built for that.
This is just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like. We all have one and they all stink.

Old 03-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

yoda, no harm done! i didnt see that both of you had the AT! thats does make a difference, especially if you run a bigger tire!

Old 03-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

I want to add more power to my AT as well. I think the biggest bang for the buck is to swap out the vacuum controlled carburetor with one that has a cable controlled slide. My buddy does this with his rice rockets, and it makes a big difference. Nobody has done this to a rancher that I've found, but sudco (a carburetor distributor) does this with banshee's all the time, and they say the improvement is significant.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Well you cann't swap out that carb it has a TPS sensor on it and it won't work with out it, now it maybe possible to go to a rubicon or ricon carb if you really think you need a different carb.

All you guys have to remeber these a gear driven machine so no matter what you do you can only go as fast as what gearing it has in it.

Now far as motor upgrades to get some more power, lots of them out there. But ask yourself this are you willing to put 1000 into those parts and gain say 3 HP (10 percent so if it has 12 hp stock going to gain 1 to 2 hp) I would say you may just want to go with a bigger ATV like a rubicon or rincon.

The AT's come with 24" tires so I wouldn't go with anything bigger than a 26 in a aggersive tread (like vampires)

Old 03-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

What do you mean you can't swap out the carb? Check out the keihin FCR-MX at www.sudco.com, they're made specifically for ATVs. It has a TPS. Why would one go to a rubicon or foreman carb? That is the same old vacuum controlled slide BS. Think about how a vacuum controlled carb operates; it only opens the intake when the engine rpms are high enough to over-come the slide spring. These are put on quads to slow you down. If you've ever ridden a recon, you'll see the difference, it'll beat the pants off of either a Rancher or RancherAT.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

if you really want only speed get a 300ex or somthing a 2wd quad you will have speed over power. I got a rancher 2000 es 4x4 51 is the top speed but who really needs alot of speed on a atv if your not racing them low end power is wat you need to go thru water and mud and climb hills. Most hills i climb im up to 3rd gear time i get to top of them.

Quick Reply: How Do I make my 05 Rancher AT Faster