Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need help with honda fourtrax shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with honda fourtrax shift lever

I have a 1991 300 Fourtrax. The shift lever is stripped. I hope it's the shift lever and not the shaft the lever is on.

Anyway, I cannot get the lever off the shaft. I have taken out the bolt and tried to pry it off and jammed a screwdriver in the slit to try to make the diameter of the lever a little wider. But, I still cannot get the lever off. Is there a trick to this.

I am fairly mechanically inclined. Should I buy a shop manual or take this to someone who actually knows what they are doing?

In other words, Is it difficult to do?

Another item is, it does not idle well. Could this be a simple carb rebuild and are they actually simple? Or do I have another problem? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

spray some wd40 on it and wigle it off. maybe get a long bar put it down then use a hammer to tap it off. Becarful not to strip out piece coming out of engine and dont bend or brake it.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
SFA
Range Rover

I would be careful to not pull on it too much...
Try moving the lever up and down until it feels like it might be lined up with what is left of the splines, then try and work it off evenly....don't jam a screwdriver on one side of it and expect it to fall off, work both sides alittle at a time. If all else fails you can take a sawzall or something similar and cut off the top part of the "c" on the shift lever itself. The shifter is most likely junk anway.

I have heard of people setting the shifter where they want it and putting a tac weld on the shifter to the shaft to ensure it would not slip in place of swapping out a stripped shift shaft.