Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

toe out adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toe out adjustment

what is the easiest way to do the front end?

Old 03-24-2006, 03:54 PM
SFA
Range Rover

I really don't understand the question here...

If your asking how to adjust the toe in or out you simply turn the tie rods and equal amount until you have the desired setup. I wouldn't recomend running anything toed out though, you will run into some funky steering issues like that, from my experience I like 1/16" to 1/8" toed in.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Simple way is to measure from a given point on the tread on the front of the tire. Then measure to the same tread on the rear of the tire. The front measurement should be slightly less than the rear measurememt. About 1/4" max difference. If not adjust the tie rod ends.

Good Luck,
Rob

Old 03-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How Honda describes it in the manual for 500 Foreman...

Use a toe gauge to make two marks on the tread at the front of the tires, roll the machine back so the marks are on the backs of the tread.

Put the tow gauge up to the tires. Should be towed out (wider at front) 1 3/16" for 4x4's, and 1/32" tow out for 2wd.

Taking 2 builder's squares and C clamping them together can be used as a toe guage. All you need is something that can sit on the ground behind the wheels with two arms that can go up between the fenders to mark the backs of the wheels.

I find it easier to draw marks on the backs of the wheels, then roll it forward, since it is easier to take the measurement on the front. Putting tape across the tire can also make it easier to see the mark more accurately.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:13 AM
SFA
Range Rover

JeffinTD, it really says to toe them out ? This seems to go against everything I have ever done. All the wheelers I have owned I had always set the toe in, and never heard of anyone running toe out. Just curious if you know why you'd want to toe it out ?

Old 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

You tow a wheel out slightly for better handling in turns. It fools the vehicle into thinking that it is slightly wider so it will handle better in the turns. Circle track cars do this all the time. This will show up as a very small increase, but it will show up. It will also "bite" slightly more on a 4X4.
Think of it this way. If you have ever rode a 3 wheeler ATV fast into a turn you know what I'm talking about.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't really know why Honda calls for toe-out, or why they call for more on 4x4's, but I don't claim to be smarter than the combined IQ of the throngs of engineers at Honda, so I do what they call for.

The only time mine has been out is after the tie rod recall.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

The reason they toe out the wheels on a 4x4 is because when you hit the gas the front wheels try to "pull away" from the quad, and will acually make the wheels almost completly strait. If they were toed in it will chew up the tires much faster and they will try to pull into each other instead of strait ahead.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

yes, that is correct. With power at the front wheels (4x4's) they have a tendency to pull forward, any play in the suspension will be brought out, the tires will want to turn in towards each other at the front, so we induce some toe-out to counteract this so the tires are somewhat straight ahead when all the slack is taken up. The same goes for front-wheel-drive cars and 4x4 trucks.

Rear wheel drive is different, it's the opposite. since the rear tires are the only thing that moves the quad, the front tires dont have a tendency to pull. The frame is driven by the rear tires, so the frame wants to move forward while the front tires are touching the ground and the ground drags the tires toward the BACK, so the front of the tires move away from each other. In this case, we induce some toe-in so when all the slack is taken up, the tires are close to being straight.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:56 AM
SFA
Range Rover

I see. I have only owned one FWD atv, and didn't know this. I have always had everything I own toed in slightly wheather it be 2wd ATV's or 4wd trucks. What your saying makes sense on a 4wd atv though. But what does legalstealing ride ?