Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

06 450r problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006 | 01:40 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 450r problems

I just bought a new 06 450r two weeks ago and I'm already having problems with it. I've only put about 8 hours on it and gone through 1/2 a tank of gas. Don't get me wrong, I love this machine. It was running great one minute then crappy the next. The first thing I noticed is the throttle stopping being responsive. From idle to half throttle (quickly) would cause it to bog or even stall. It wasn't doing this prior. The wheeler has also lost a good amount of power. Prior to this I could barely keep the front tires on the ground, now I have to try and get them up. The dealer said now that it is broken in it'll run differently. Ok, I'm no fool. If anything the machine should be running better after it is broken in, right??? I read a few other topics that suggested turning up the idle. Any idea why I'd be losing power?? Anybody else have this problem???

I would also like to add that when I'm accelerating it sounds like it is missing firing.

Old 03-28-2006 | 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 450r problems

Originally posted by: ncozzolino
I just bought a new 06 450r two weeks ago and I'm already having problems with it. I've only put about 8 hours on it and gone through 1/2 a tank of gas. Don't get me wrong, I love this machine. It was running great one minute then crappy the next. The first thing I noticed is the throttle stopping being responsive. From idle to half throttle (quickly) would cause it to bog or even stall. It wasn't doing this prior. The wheeler has also lost a good amount of power. Prior to this I could barely keep the front tires on the ground, now I have to try and get them up. The dealer said now that it is broken in it'll run differently. Ok, I'm no fool. If anything the machine should be running better after it is broken in, right??? I read a few other topics that suggested turning up the idle. Any idea why I'd be losing power?? Anybody else have this problem???

I would also like to add that when I'm accelerating it sounds like it is missing firing.
My advice is to take it back to your dealer since it is obviously still under warranty. If your dealer doesn't want to help you then call Honda and find a new dealer. It could be many things. They could start with a compression test. To me, I suspect dirt in the carb but I personnaly wouldn't mess with it while it is under warranty or your work will become the reason for the problem.

Try putting your tank on reserve and see if it runs any better. I once got a z400 to fix because it was having all kinds of issues. It was just lower on gas than the owner expected. When he was accelerating, it wasn't getting enough fuel.

/Jon

Old 03-28-2006 | 07:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Default 06 450r problems

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. 8 hours and only a 1/2 tank of gas? I'm lucky to get 4 hours to a full tank with the YFZ.

Old 03-29-2006 | 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default 06 450r problems

i'm w/ scooter, my pred's kinda rough on fuel, wish i could get that much to half a tank! lol

anyway, maybe your valves need adjusted? i know it sounds kinda ridiculous, but to be honest a lot of these new High performance 4 strokes have some really speratic problems that'll just kinda show up all of a sudden. Is it hard to start? if so that could definately be a sign of your valves needing an adjustment, either way, take it back to the dealer, they should fix it for free.

Old 03-29-2006 | 12:32 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 450r problems

Originally posted by: ScramblerXLE
i'm w/ scooter, my pred's kinda rough on fuel, wish i could get that much to half a tank! lol

anyway, maybe your valves need adjusted? i know it sounds kinda ridiculous, but to be honest a lot of these new High performance 4 strokes have some really speratic problems that'll just kinda show up all of a sudden. Is it hard to start? if so that could definately be a sign of your valves needing an adjustment, either way, take it back to the dealer, they should fix it for free.
No, it starts right up...no problems there. Thanks for the response!