Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher tear down

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher tear down

I got a 04 Rancher 4x4 manual shift and it's knocking. I have tore it down to the cyclinder and had the wrist pin checked and it's too much cleareance in between the wrist pin and the rod. The guy told me that it would need a crank kit. Long story behind this atv the guy before me had a problem with the ring and had the Honda shop fix it and it didn't go under waranty for some reason. So now that I have it the work is noticeable to the eye by the cyclinder is new. So the Honda shops have told me that the waranty is void.

Now what's the odd's that I can put the crank kit in my self? The cyclinder, top end and piston is good and I have already had it down to the piston and had the piston off the rod, is it A HOLE LOT MORE to get to the crank? Would it be easier to take the motor out?

Old 03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

get a book the best 20 bucks you'll spend

Old 03-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you think it will get me thru tearing it down to the crank and fixing it?

Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have to go with little bill here, get a book. If you have general mechanical skills and tools the book will guide you through the rest. I have torn alot of stuff apart but I don't go tearing into motors without a book!

Old 03-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

with the 350 engine, being the cam is in the crank case, whipping the top end off is a breeze. Doing anything with the crank and lower end is the opposite...a complete nightmare. The engine has to come out of the frame, then you have to take the crank case apart and "split" the case halves. It's a whole lot of "man why am i doing this" kinda feeling. Trust me, you dont want to do it. but then again, do you trust some other guy with parts strewn all over his bench?

How bad is the knock? My 2004 and my 2005 had a little rattle at idle, so does my buddy's 2002. Also has a rattle when it's wound out a little under load, again, my 2004 did this, my 2005 does this and my buddy's 2002 does this. The top end rattle sounds like a knock but i think it's the vacuum piston in the carburetor. I wish i could hear it to tell you for sure.

in any case, maybe the noise you hear is the same as i hear and it's quite normal for this engine. I know that you hope it isnt, being you've already had it apart for that reason, but it might have been nothing all along.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

I have had several other honda's 99 foreman, 98 recon, a couple of 400 ex's, never had I herd this knock that it's in my rancher. It's terrible when I throtle up and go thru the gears especially when I hold it at steady speed between gears without a load. I had a guy look at it when I had the piston off and he put the wrist pin thru the piston and it was fine then he put the wrist pin thru the rod without the piston and he said that is where my problem is, he didn't measure it I guess from his experiance he knew right away. Then he said that I would need a crank !! He is talking around 600.00 bucks. I just wish I could do it myself and save me that money. Then again I'm afraid I'll get it down and want be able to get it back togather.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

that really sucks i guess. You could try to do it yourself, just get the parts before you do it. gasket sets, everything. The reason I say that is if you tear it down and then have to wait a week to get parts, it's easier to forget how to put it back together.

The best thing to do is tear it down in the afternoon one day, then let it sit overnight and put it back together the next morning. Has something to do with how your brain processes the information, helps you remember more.
just make sure you buy the manual to do it.

good luck in any case.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

I remember somewhere I read that something about the crank had to be pressed out or something, I can't remember. What are they talking about? Also will it be easier to take out the motor from the frame. If so will it guide me thru un-hooking the drive shafts and removing the motor?

Where on line is a good place to get engine parts?

Old 04-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

I just got thru ordering about 400.00 bucks in parts from Bikebandit.com today for my Rancher. I think I'm just going to let the shop fix it.