Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rubicon or Arctic Cat 500 Manual???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rubicon or Arctic Cat 500 Manual???

No disrespect taken,

msrp base rubicon is $7300(according to honda site), AC 500m around 6300. Haven't had any problems with my cat brakes in the year I owned it. I don't consider myself a novest on atvs, been riding hardcore for years, and I like the single leaver breaks, they always seem to work. These are utilitys and not sport bikes. As long as they stop my heavy *** H1, and they do it well, I'm happy. The honda brakes might as well be single lever also because only the front brakes worked on my honda anyways.lol Just personal experience, everyones is differrent. Sorry to hear about your buddys brakes on his AC, never really hear of cat breaks having problems.
As far as me calling both bikes simple, that was a good observation, and that is exactly what I meant to say. My point is that the 500 m is the simplest(is that a word?) bike in ac's line up. Therefore less problems(manual tranny). The rubicon is also simple design, (awesome tranny), with no locker and no IRS, therefore making it also trouble free. Simple is not always a bad thing. Some people, like me, want more power and all the bells and whistles. These complexaties bring a better chance for problems, I'm willing to accept that. Some people want a simple no hassle bike and thats ok too.I live in Florida and we ride in "treeless flatlands and muddy swamps", thats all we have, so these "big machines that are too damn big" are necessary. ACs are big and intiminating, I thought it was too big too, but ride one for a day and you'll love it. Yea, I guess we are the "biggest talkers" too, keeps it fun.lol And with my 2 years of warrenty, NO "wrenching in the garage" for me. AC even replaced my warn winch, that I smoked, because it was included with the bike. Obviously we do different kinds of riding due to the different geographys where we live. So our views on riding and equiptment are different and I agree to disagree.I wish we had more trails and hills like you northerners, but we don't. If I did live in those conditions I would probably not own a big AC, but for fast trail riding I probably would'nt own a rubicon either. To the original poster, if our into mud, can't beat the AC, but like I said earlier, rubi is good bike also. Depends what YOU want, just offering my experience. To propnut, I totally respect your input and atving experience, and would love to ride up north in the snow one day. For now I'm stuck getting muddy in the rediculously hot Florida sun. It's almost 90 degrees here, gonna be hot this summer.
Ride safe guys,

Old 06-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a rubicon and my brother in law has a cat you said you want it for hunting, Last weekend we went to my deer lease and he had to many problems fitting down the trails he even got stuck between trees once. the other thing is every time we race and there are turns i slid threw them and he has to slow down IRS for you I seen him go on 2 wheels several times in turns. We both have 27" Mud Lites with the lift kit Im just as high as him. I have also folowed him threw every mud hole and havent had a problem. I have noticed on the cat it dosent have a low geared reverse and he cant spin his tire backwards to back out a mud hole. My choice is Rubicon Im on my second one.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:29 PM
HR
Range Rover

well i don't have a AC500 but i do have a 2003 ac 250 twd. and a i have a rancher at.
i would say the ac is a great machine, they handle better for me. all i do is hunt and fish on BUMPY *** roads and creek beds. the AC IRS is amazing. but i also like the auto on my rancher it's easier to deal with while hunting.

i'm not going to tell you one is better than the other. my AC hauled TWO elk out of the woods here in N AZ Flagstaff, mind you those are 400-600 lb elk each. so it had the power in a little 250. no i didn't want to go 60 mph with them but at 20-25 mph it had NO problem. and could have gone faster, but why?.
the rancher has hauled my jeep out of snow and mud holes. so i know it's got it where it counts too.

try and test them. maybe on the terrain you'll be hunting in. see witch feetures you like. and witch one feels the best for YOU not your buddy or your wife/gf. but you , your the one that has to ride it for hours. so get what you like,.
my AC 250 has a seat to die for. it's nice and soft. but i feel kinda... off not right sitting on it. where the handelbars are, foot pegs... where the honda feels GREAT but the seat leave alittle to be desired.

oh na dmy ac 250 will clime all the same hills my at needs 4x4 for. maybe the lighter chasie, i don't know..

and i thing the AC has a two speed T-box. high and low, mine does. along with the 5 speed i'm happy with it.

again get what feels right for you. they will both serve you well. if you don't abuse it. and just maintain them right.

just my $.02

HR