Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Mud tires to fit stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for good mudtires to fit a stock 300 rim. I dont have enough money for a bigwheel kit. I was concidering Mudsharks or Bear Claw. any suggestions?

tire size:

front 23x8-11
rear 24x9-11

thanks for your help

Old 11-17-2000, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider

On my 300 I went with 24x9x11 Mud Sharks on the front and 25x12x11 Maxxis On the rear. It was a very good combination for the 300 and it turned them well. It didnt give up too much power and also kept the correct offset from front to rear.
I have Bearclaws on my current quad and like them too so they would also be a good option in my opinion.

Old 11-20-2000, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

Any more of you guys that ride the 300 or anything else that can help me out?

I would appreciate it. Thanks

Old 11-20-2000, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

Eighteen months ago I replaced the Dunlop KT962A 24x8x11 fronts and 24x10x11 rears on my Bayou 300 4x4 with 25x8x11 and 25x10x11 Goodyear Mudrunners. I also replaced the Goodyear Tracker MP 24x8x11 fronts and 24x10x11 rears on my Bayou 400 4x4 with 25x8x11 and 25x10x11 Mudrunners.

In the Spring of '99 at the big Cochranton poker run, my daughter rode the 300 and I rode the 400. The 35 muddy miles of Cochranton's Trail B presented no problems for either quad.
A few weeks later in May '99 I rode the 400 at the even muddier Salamanca Dice Run. Again I experienced nothing but excellent performance, including pulling my buddy's SP500 out of a deep mudhole.

In July '99 I rode the 300 at the first Quads-On-The-Rocks ride at Tasker's Gap (see the Tasker's Gap article of 8-15-99 for details and pictures). The Mudrunners handled the rocks every bit as well as they handled the mud.

In July '00 I returned to Tasker's Gap with my daughter to ride in the second Quads-On-The-Rocks ride, and the Little Fort Trail ride the following day. My daughter rode the 300 and I rode the 400. Once again we experienced nothing but excellent performance from the Mudrunners, including a very tough pass up the formidable Tasker's Run (more huge rocks than you can imagine).

The 25-inch Mudrunners give an excellent ride under all conditions, except at speeds less than 5 MPH where they tend to rumble a bit. They dramatically improved traction compared to the Dunlop KT962As and Goodyear Tracker MPs they replaced. And even my Bayou 300 has sufficient power to turn them without straining.

The Mudrunners are also more puncture resistant than the Tracker MPs they replaced on my Bayou 400. I had 23 punctures in four years with the Tracker MPs. I have not had one puncture with the Mudrunners on either the Bayou 300 or Bayou 400. To be fair though, I had no punctures with the Dunlop KT962As that were the OEM tires on the Bayou 300.

And speaking of flat tires, this just happened a few days ago. My friend from South Carolina was in town for a visit and we went riding Thursday afternoon. He was aboard the 300 I was piloting the 400. We tackled a very narrow, winding, deeply rutted creek bed. It is a very tough section of technical riding. We successfully negotiated it while only getting stuck three times. In each case we high-centered on a log and we took turns helping each other off.

When we completed the creek bed we drove about two miles home for dinner. We parked the quads and didn't even look at them again until Saturday afternoon when we were scheduled to go riding again. I went to pull the Bayou 300 out of the garage by hand, and found I could barely get it to move. I thought I had left the parking brake on, but a quick check proved otherwise. I then noticed the right rear tire seemed a little low. Another quick check showed the valve stem had been completely ripped out of the rim. There was only the hole where the valve stem had been.

Somewhere something in the creek bottom had ripped the valve stem completely out of the rim, and my buddy had driven the two miles to home with zero air pressure in the right rear tire and never knew it. We took the tire to a nearby gas station, had a new valve stem put in, put it back on the quad, and went riding. The Mudrunner performed flawlessly. It had suffered no ill effects from being run two miles without air, and the Mudrunners I bought are NOT the EMT Run-Flats! I think that is quite a testament to the durability and tractive ability of the Mudrunner.

I selected the 25xNNx11-inch size to gain traction and ground clearance without encountering fender clearance problems while still allowing me to use my stock rims. The Mudrunners are a first-rate tire for all conditions, and I can give them my unequivocal recommendation.

The Mudrunner is a little more expensive that the Kenda Bearclaw you're considering, but I think you should wait awhile and save the additional money needed to buy the Mudrunners. They are the best all-around tires I've ever ridden on.

Army Man

Old 11-21-2000, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

I envy you. I was also on that poker run, what a time. It was my first year, but the guy that I was with was there 5 times before. I took trail "A" because there were too many poeple on trail "B". There was no mud on trail "A". I was dissapointed. But there was a little mud, enough to excite me.