Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Another Rancher shift Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006 | 10:10 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Another Rancher shift Problem

Hello to everyone from warm sunny San Diego. I just joined after reading many of the posts. I have read all the posts about the problems with the Honda Rancher Electric Shift and now mine is in the shop. Four days later I went to get it and it is worse than when I took it in. I also asked them to adjust the clutch if needed. When I test drove it the transmission would slame into gear instead of a smooth shift. Wind it up in either third or fourth gear and it would not shift into the next gear until the RPMs dropped down then it slamed into gear. Now I'm getting the run around. Anyone have any idea of what's going on with this?
The mechanic says he called Honda yesterday and but no reply yet. Two days he waits for a phone call from Honda. I should have done it myself. I would appriciate any advice.
Thanks, Dave

Old 04-12-2006 | 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

seems like the clutch is not adjusted properly. it's really easy to do. there's a locknut with a screw in the center of it down on the front of the engine by the shift motor. Loosen the locknut with your tools in the tool kit so you can turn the screw thing in the center. Using the screwdriver in the toolkit, screw it in (clockwise) a couple turns or so (it should turn very freely, should be able to turn it with your fingers.) then turn it counter-clockwise until you feel it stop or has some resistance, this means all the slack is taken out of the shifter mechanism. then turn it back the other way 1/4 turn and hold it there while tightening the locknut back down. that 1/4 turn in is a slight amount of free-play to allow the metal to expand when it gets hot, and keeps anything from binding.

if that doesnt work, then your shift plate thing might have come loose or broke, and that is under the front cover and would require some technical ability to fix.

make sure the shift motor is actually trying to shift, if it is, then you probably have a mechanical problem, not a faulty ES component.

Old 04-12-2006 | 12:58 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info Quicksilver. If I have that problem again I'll do what you suggest. I hope the mechanic at the dealership know how to fix this. BTW does anyone know of a recall from Honda regarding the shifting problems with the 350 Ranchers. I read on another site about this problem and someone said Honda recalled the 04's. How can I check on this. Should I call Honda and if so who should I ask for?

Thanks, Paragon

Old 04-14-2006 | 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: paragon
BTW does anyone know of a recall from Honda regarding the shifting problems with the 350 Ranchers. I read on another site about this problem and someone said Honda recalled the 04's. How can I check on this. Should I call Honda and if so who should I ask for?

Thanks, Paragon
The only recall on the 350 Ranchers is for the tie-rods. The recall on the '04s you read about may be for the 400 Rancher AT. That wasn't a recall, it was a product update for the ECM and clutch. If you call any Honda dealer and give them your model and VIN they can check for any recalls or product updates in litterely (sp?) less than a minute.