Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I can't bleed my brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006 | 11:12 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default I can't bleed my brakes!!!

Hey guys, its been a while since i last posted here. but, this is the first problem ive had in a long time. i just got my frame back from powder coating, i got the frame+subframe in yellow, and the a-arms in black. btw, my 400ex is yellow and im really happy with how it looks. but, i put it all back together, went to bleed my front brakes, but no fluid comes out. at first i had the two washers on the lines the wrong way so it was leaking, but i got that all right and not leaking. that means i am obviously getting fluid to the calipers, but i cant bleed them!! no fluid comes out at all. i know how to bleed brakes. done it dozens of times to things. i have no idea whats wrong. help please!!

Old 04-24-2006 | 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

check to see if your bleeder screws are plugged off.

Old 04-24-2006 | 03:07 PM
|
Pro Rider

I checked them and the are clean. idk whats going on.

Old 04-24-2006 | 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe take the lines off and blow a little air thru them.Sounds like a blockage of some sort.Whoops,sorry,I see u said you have fluid at the cal.forget what I said.

Old 04-24-2006 | 04:51 PM
|
Pro Rider

Its just soo wierd. i dont know what to try or do. i have fluid up to the caliper. and, when i squeze the handle, i can hear a little air going in and out.

Old 04-24-2006 | 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Spoony
Its just soo wierd. i dont know what to try or do. i have fluid up to the caliper. and, when i squeze the handle, i can hear a little air going in and out.
If you can hear air when you squeeze the brake then u got air in somewhere.
I usually make up a plate with a spiggot in it and use that as a cover on the master cyl.and use a liitle hand air pump to put a weeee bit of pressure on the fluid to get things bled.

When you pump the brake,hold the brake on and at the same time crack the bleeder screw to see if anything comes out .(air or fluid)

Old 04-25-2006 | 12:08 AM
|
Pro Rider

I know how to bleed brakes. its just not happening though. i think my master cyclinder might be shot. but, it was just working. a friend of mine has one of those speed vacuum bleeders that im going to try.

Old 04-25-2006 | 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Spoony
I know how to bleed brakes. its just not happening though. i think my master cyclinder might be shot. but, it was just working. a friend of mine has one of those speed vacuum bleeders that im going to try.
Good Luck Spoony,Hope ya get it fixed.

Old 04-25-2006 | 02:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was going to recommend that you get a Mity-Vac. They don't give them away, but they are worth it. Put some teflon tape around the threads (threads only) of the bleeder screw to prevent air from entering there.

Other possibility, did you change levers recently? Sometimes aftermarket, or incorrect lever won't let the piston in the master cylinder return fullyl, and won't allow fluid to flow properly...

Anyway, I bet the vacuum bleeder does the trick. Sometimes when starting with an empty system, surface tension and what not can make it tough to get the air out. Ever since I got my mity-vac, though, bleeding brakes and getting them perfect the first time has been quick and easy.

Old 04-25-2006 | 04:35 PM
|
Pro Rider

Alright, the speed bleeder did the trick. all fixed. thanks guys!