Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New Honda- Automatic or Manuel (ES)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006 | 02:43 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default New Honda- Automatic or Manuel (ES)

Hello. We have a 98' Honda Foreman 450 ES. We use it to pull a fencing trailor, and to chase cows often around the farm. We are looking to buy another one. I have been wondering about the Rubicon or the Rancher At with the automatic transmission. They say the old manuel shifters are deffinetly the most reliable. Does the automatic greatly increase the chance of transmission problems?? My dad doesn't mind the Es, but I am trying to talk him into an automatic feature also. I think it would be nicer sometimes when chasing cattle. What do you guys think. The Rubicon should have just as much power as our Foreman dont you think?? I just hope it rides better compared to the older models. They say the 98' was the roughest one you could buy, and I believe it. Any info helps. Thanks

Old 05-19-2006 | 08:35 AM
Trailblazer

Howdy,
I have a Rancher 4x4 ES. I love the ES. Haven't ried the AT, but many on here have said how it is gutless when trying to pull. BUT, I have no experience with the AT myself, just going on what others have said.

I think the Rancher would have all the power you would need, no need to go bigger. MY 2 cents.

Kev

Old 05-19-2006 | 10:33 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Especially for a work quad, I say keep in simple! The Honda automatics a very complex. Their track record is good, but nothing close to the good old manual trans. Personally, I wouldn't even have ES.

Old 05-19-2006 | 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

if you absolutely need an automatic, i would look at a Yamaha or Polaris for an automatic. The belt drive has it's flaws, but for chasing cattle it would be way more reliable than the techy and complicated Hondamatic.

I hate automatics, but other people love them. The belt drive system has proven to be the simplest and most reliable system. The Honda's so far have had quite a few problems with the auto transmission. Most of the posts about the 400AT, Rubicon or Rincon have to do with the transmission.

Old 05-20-2006 | 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Kelan, i would definatly go with the Rubicon, or another ES. are you planning your '98 ES? My cousin's have 2 '98 ES and those atv's are so solid. I have so much respect for them. They are tough as nails. BUT i can still see why you want a newer one. If i were you, i would get the Rubicon. The Automatic is there, with 2 options, which could be good for pulling around that fencing trailor, and good so you wouldnt have to switch gears when out chasing the cows, lol. AND if for some odd reason you do not like the automatic, you still have that good 'ole ES system like you did on your '98, only better and extremely more smoother. Test drive them both, then buy. And also, the Rubicon will hbave a little bit more noticeable power.
--------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
3000lb. Warn Winch
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
2inch HL Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak
2001 Honda Rancher 350 ES (Green)

Old 05-21-2006 | 10:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I Love my Rancher AT's they are great quads don't belive that stuff about them being gutless I have seen them say that on here too. I can still roast the tires no problem and they are pulling beast's I will agree they are very complicated though. I currently have an angle sensor issue with one. I know that I have a broken wire between the angle sensor and the ECU wich should be a simple fix but half way there it enters the primary wiring housing on it's way to the ECU and I don't even want to think about tearing into that.

Old 05-22-2006 | 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

The Rubicon is a fine quad and is more of a workhorse that the Rancher AT. It does not have an ES system like your Foreman. An ES (electric shift) is an electric motor that shifts a standard geared transmission. The ESP system on a Rubicon is very different. It changes the way that the fluid moves in the transmission for different "speeds". It is more like a hydrostatic drive. The Rincon has an automobile type transmission withe a torque converter.