Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

fan not working 00 foreman esp

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan not working 00 foreman esp

Hi all. I am new here and have a question. My 2000 Honda foreman 450 esp.....It has an electric fan that used to turn on from time to time. It doesn't seem to be turning on at all now. The weather here has been 90 degrees plus.
How can I determine if it is working properly (I am assuming it's not). Is there a fuse for the fan and where is it? Does the water pump pump water through the radiator at all times, or only when the fan is on? Is there an idiot light if it runs hot? How can I tell if it's running hot? thanks

Old 06-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If its a 450, then its an air cooled motor, and theres no coolant.
The radiator and fan, are for the oil. There should be a red light on the speedo area, for over heating.
Check the oil level first. And if the oil hasnt been changed in over a year, its time to change it and the filter.
Second thing is look at the fuses, under the seat, and next to the battery. Make sure they are all good.
Then try to hot wire the fan, Run a jumper wire to the fan motor directly,...this will tell you if the fan is bad, or the circuitry to the fan is bad.
If the jumper makes the fan come on, then you have a circuit problem. If the fan doesnt come on, and youre doing the jumper correctly, then the fan is bad.
There should be a 2 wire connector, about 3 inches away from the fan itself, this is where you jump the fan.
Let us know what you find out.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help hondabuster. Very appreciated. As you can tell, I don't have much experience working on ATV's but I'm sure I'll learn. I will check out the fan the way you suggested next week sometime and let you know what I find.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I work on these all the time, if you bo back by the right rear wheel you will find a single wire (blue). Take a jumper with that to ground on the harness side of the connector. If the fan comes on then the sensor maybe bad. I have noticed also that if you tap on the fan control box(it's right next to the cdi box both rather small) up under the front fender, that you can make it come on and go off. Meaning you have a bad fan control box, about 180 bucks. I have replace 2 in just the last week.