Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rubicon Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rubicon Problems

Please help if you can. I have an 02 (I think - 1st year) Honda Rubicon. Has a grand total of 500 miles on it.

Problem is this - Start the atv - starts fine, give it gas, and it will not pull itself. Bogs down, absolutely no power to turn the wheels. Let off the gas, idles fine.

At first I thought it had something to do with the spark plug wires, but have heard it might be a speed sensor or something in the gear shift.

Dropped it off at the dealer, and it happened when I took it off the trailer. After them driving it for three days, the problem did not resurface.

Problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it is when you first start it, sometimes it happens after you drive it for a while.

At this point I have a very expensive hunk of metal in my garage that I can't trust to take out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

01 is the first year for the rubbies. Does the dash blink when this happens? if so it is in the computer it thinks it is in neutral, but it is in gear. Shut off and make sure it is in neutral and start this works for a while but it will get worse we have had 6 of them now and only 2 have had this problem both were 01's . the one never had the problem again but the one has went through 3 of the computers . The dealer replaced all of them, but we bought the extended warranty. its not cheap i though it was with the sensor to but the dealer said it was in the computer. I also think it is caused by water. The computer is above the rear wheel.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks - I'll check that out. May I ask how much it was?

Old 06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

sounds to me like a angle sensor. Does your dealer know how to check it for codes, what codes did it have in it. every time there is a failer it will store a code. quick way for you to test if it's a angle sensor put in esp and try to shift up to 5th. If it starts to blink most likely that or reinitilize the ecm. That and did the dealer do a oil pressure test?

Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

that angle sensor could be right they just swapped them the third time and if i was useing it like we did i bet it would do it again, it was starting to act up again when we dumped it . it was about 600 but thats what they said that could be on the high side they are pretty proud of oem

Old 06-29-2006, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

doesn't do any good to put a new one if you don't clear the code and reinitilize the ecm, or if you don't preload the angle sensor when you install it.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, I am going to forward this thread to my dealer to see what they have done. I'll let you know wht I find out.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

yeh and i think thats what was wrong all along with the one we've replace 3 times thanks since then ive opened up my own shop and that will help me out alot in the long run, Thanks again