Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006 | 06:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!

but it's just as annoying as a poster that usually can't shut up about their favorite brand being the best at everything....

You mean like Outty owners?

Old 07-03-2006 | 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

Uh no, I think he was talking about you.

Old 07-03-2006 | 09:28 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well a sport quad seems like the way to go for me since I have no need to do anything work related. I have ridden my land before with a 2x4 and have had no problems in the past. I think (after reading what you guys have written) that a sport quad will give me the speed and confort I am looking for. The only reason I was considering the utility was because I was told it had better shocks, and I have never driven an atv with a clutch. After reading on this forum I think it should be pretty easy to learn how to use a clutch, and that a sport will be a much better ride (more comfortable).

I know this question has been debated many times on this forum, but I have to ask it. What do you guys think, z400 or 400ex? I really like most everything I read about both of them here on the forums, but am concerned about the corrosion issue with one of the parts (please excuse the lack of vocabulary, I am new to this stuff) on the z400 because suzuki was not doing anything about it. Has suzuki resolved this corrosion problem??? I am also looking for something that is LOW maintenance. Sorry for the long posts, but I want to make sure you guys understand my situaton.

Old 07-03-2006 | 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

400EX and Z400 are about equal in maintenance, although the Honda has no radiator to worry about= one less thing to keep clean, and you never need to change rad fluid. As far as ride comfort, many utes will deliver a plusher ride at lower speeds than sport quads. Kick the pace up a bit, or throw in jumps, whoops, etc and you are better off on a lighter sport quad that will have more suspension travel than the utes. As for the corrosion problems with the Z-The problem is the magnesium clutch cover. Suzuki has issued a recall on the affected units, and is taking care of the problem. If you are buying new, you don't have to worry. If you are buying used, 03/04 models are also unaffected. Worst case scenario, you buy a used 05/6 with the faulty cover and Suzuki won't fix it, you can buy a bling bling aftermarket cover, maybe $100.00 and be stylin'. Personally, you are young and want speed, I would go with the Z as it has a higher perf. motor and better suspension, especially the newer models with piggyback front shocks.

Old 07-03-2006 | 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

have you looked into the new wolverine 450 4x4? Sport quad but with 4x4 selectable and sportier suspension and its automatic also so no clutch at all and its decently fast id say...also if i were you id look into the scrambler 500..same as the wolverine just faster.

Old 07-03-2006 | 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Grumpy2
Uh no, I think he was talking about you.
If you can find a post of mine saying my quad is better at everything, i will apologize. But you wont.

Old 07-04-2006 | 04:10 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

v2rider-What's with you? He doesn't need a work quad anyway, and neither do 98% of the other quad riders in the country, so just get use to it............

What happens in these posts is that the same few hard core heavy utility riders always pipe up and convince a beginner trail rider that he needs a 700 pound, 800 cc monster utility farm work tractor. So hey, I beat you to the punch and warned this poor unsuspecting guy off. And you don't even ride a Honda, so what you doing in the Honda forum anyway?????

Anyway allan........the Z is probably the best all-around machine out there. I do however like the 400EX for slower, more technical trail riding, because it has a motor that doesn't mind being lugged down. The Z on the other hand, likes to rev, so it does better on fast trails, and in more open country. And, the Z motor hops up real well with just a few simple mods like opening up the airbox, an aftermarket air filter, and an aftermarket exhaust.

Old 07-04-2006 | 04:20 AM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] O O P S ! ! ! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2006 | 10:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Actually, i was a proud owner of a 93 fourtrax. But i never say lighter quads are worthless. You seem to think all heavy quads are the biggest mistake ever. Well, i needed a heavy quad, and so do alot of other people. Why dont you say "I prefer a lighter, smaller quad" instead of completely trashing the heavier quads? And i never said he needs a work quad, i specifically said hes looking for a Honda, and wondered why you piped up to trash talk quads hes not even interested in anyway.

Old 07-04-2006 | 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
v2rider-What's with you? He doesn't need a work quad anyway, and neither do 98% of the other quad riders in the country, so just get use to it............

What happens in these posts is that the same few hard core heavy utility riders always pipe up and convince a beginner trail rider that he needs a 700 pound, 800 cc monster utility farm work tractor. So hey, I beat you to the punch and warned this poor unsuspecting guy off. And you don't even ride a Honda, so what you doing in the Honda forum anyway?????

Anyway allan........the Z is probably the best all-around machine out there. I do however like the 400EX for slower, more technical trail riding, because it has a motor that doesn't mind being lugged down. The Z on the other hand, likes to rev, so it does better on fast trails, and in more open country. And, the Z motor hops up real well with just a few simple mods like opening up the airbox, an aftermarket air filter, and an aftermarket exhaust.

I always agree with reconranger so I never have to post. I would rather be on a Honda Recon than any of the beasts. Personally, I think the Suzuki Samari is a better ute anyhow because it comes with air conditioning and you can squeeze 4 people in. I think they are cheaper too. :-)

/Jon

Quick Reply: Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!