Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006 | 07:43 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!

This guy is looking for a SPORT QUAD! WTF are you utility guys even in this discission for, except to make trouble??????????

This thred has turned into the utility riders in muddy overalls, vs the sport riders. Just go away! You have lots of other places here in the forum where you can talk about hauling 2000 pounds with your redneck buddies.

Old 07-06-2006 | 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You started it. lol Next time follow in the ute forums steps. Nobody over there bashes sport quads and says they are so light because those little girls cant handle the weight of a real quad, do they?

Old 07-06-2006 | 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
This guy is looking for a SPORT QUAD! WTF are you utility guys even in this discission for, except to make trouble??????????

This thred has turned into the utility riders in muddy overalls, vs the sport riders. Just go away! You have lots of other places here in the forum where you can talk about hauling 2000 pounds with your redneck buddies.
Actually, read the first post Recon.

Based on what the guy has said so far I would agree and recommend a sport as well. Based on what the kid is saying, I would still recommend a 400ex. Your maintenance will be a little more involved with the 450r and cost you more in the long run likely. It doesn't sound like you are horsepower crazy, not to say that this won't change, so I would go with the EX.

Old 07-06-2006 | 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

ahhhh too many beers last night. He is 19! Scrambler it is!

Old 07-07-2006 | 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

I recommend you get the 400ex. The 450r has WAY too much maintenance thats required due to it being a race bike. That was Honda's intentions when it was released. BUT.....they also knew that it would take off like a wildfire for the dune riders too.

I ride a 2005 Honda 300EX. It's a great quad for riding in the timber, through tight trails, and ALL the stuff that the bigger quads do too. It may not get there as fast, but I bet they can't keep up while following me cross country through a patch of timber where I make my own path.

The Z400 and Z450 are great quads. But...they are all built with the companies having reasons. Racing.

I've been riding Honda Sport quads since 1987, and I have had 3 Honda 250X's and I am on my 4th Honda 300EX. That alone has to say something for the Honda Sport quads alone [In my opinion].

I know this. Next year I plan on getting the Honda 400EX. I rode a friend of mines and it was awesome. WAY more torque and a LOT smoother than the 300EX in comfort

Good Luck with your new toy.......whatever it is, Have fun and wear a helmet!!!!

Old 07-07-2006 | 12:19 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I have decided on a 400ex and will be picking it up tomorrow. Thanks to everyone that has helped on picking one out. I will post once I start to ride it. Should I perform any maintaince on it as soon as I get it home? (e.g. changing oil) I have read that you need to change the oil on them to remove metal shavings. Also, What type of helmet should I buy, or does it really matter? What about regular maintaince? Will this be in the manuel? Thanks again for all of your valuable comments. One more day to go! I have waited 6 years to get one. Why I waited that long, I do not know.

Old 07-07-2006 | 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

An HJC helmet is fine for a cheap one. But if you can afford a better quality, spend more. It's YOUR head......protect it !!!

As far as the maintenance goes, they will suggest a 20 hour service to have the valves adjusted and the oil changed. They will also check the bike out to see if there's any problems. If YOU find any problems, tell them then.

I'd suggest you get a metric wrench set and a metric socket set also so when you DO do a bit of maintenance, you have the basics.

I'd say when you get the bike home, give it a once over and check all the nuts/bolts to assure they're all tight.

enjoy my friend......and, welcome to the sport of quad riding !! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2006 | 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Start by reading through your owners manual cover to cover. It will answer alot of these questions acurately.

Old 07-07-2006 | 05:11 AM
Pro Rider

I'am not knocking Honda or Honda rider's. There great quads. However I still say that the Suzuki Z400 would be your better choice. Just my personal observation from my Z400 and my son-in-law's 400ex.

Old 07-07-2006 | 10:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

The big thing on the helmet, get one that is SNELL approved! Make sure it has a snug fit, so that when you shake your head side to side and up/down it moves with your head. More expensive helmets generally have more features and/or a better paint job, but don't necessarily deliver better protection for your dome. Just stick with the Snell approved models.

It sure doesn't hurt to change the oil more often during break in. I did it between 5 and 10 hours and again after 20. Enjoty your new quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]