Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006 | 12:09 PM
Range Rover
Default Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!

I guess these folks don't realize they are on farm tractors.

Old 07-04-2006 | 02:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Cool picts jd3020.
Ha ha ha ha, these are the people that post: "I was just riding along and all of a sudden my quad just quit." "Please help me fix my quad." And "Why are brand X quads so junky."
If I was a dealer, and someone came in for warantee work and I could prove that is what they were doing with their quad, I would go tell them to pound sand.

Old 07-04-2006 | 02:58 PM
Range Rover

Ha ha ha ha, these are the people that post: "I was just riding along and all of a sudden my quad just quit." "Please help me fix my quad." And "Why are brand X quads so junky."
Yeah, that is what I think when I read a post on why my ES no longer works[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just thought it was a bit odd when I read in one of the earlier posts that a Utility Quad is a "last resort" quad.

Old 07-04-2006 | 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

There are sure alot of people in the quad community that like to argue or bitch. You would think that a place like this would be a great way to make friends, talk to people with similar interests, and learn more about the sport we love??? Anyway, tell us more about the terrain you will be riding and what you will be doing to enjoy your ATV on this ten acres. I would think that if you ride there alot you will end up getting a little bored and want to take it elsewhere. Start to take a hard look at the trails or riding areas around where you live. If it's heavy mud that you like than the 4x4 is a must. By the way you are talking and considering your age I would go with the 400EX. But tell us more. As far as a clutch is concerned, it has its benefits. Never forget, don't ever back down from a challenge in life, it will get you nowhere fast. Good luck

Old 07-05-2006 | 01:32 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for everyones imput! I think I have it narrowed down between a 400ex and a z400. I might look at the 450R as well beacuse I may be able to get it for just a few hundred more dollars than the 400ex. Do you guys think I will will be able to handle a 450R or should I just stick to a 400ex/z400? This is my first quad, and I have only ridden two in my life one was a honda 80 and a suzuki 400 utility. And that was about 5 years ago. Will the 450R require that much more maintaince? And will it be too much power for me? Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2006 | 01:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

A 450 is a pretty fast first quad, but YOU control the speed. Any of those 3 would be a good choice, but you have to realize the 450 has a harder edge to it. Of course, all of these are also fast enough to get you killed, so be safe and budget in some good riding gear(helmet, boots, goggles, and gloves at the least.)

Old 07-05-2006 | 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I have an excellent quad Im trying to sell if you dont want to pay the cost of a new one. Its a 2001 Blaster and has only been ridden one summer! Its still in excellent shape and has been serviced throughout the years! If your interested let me know.

Old 07-05-2006 | 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: alexallen
Thanks for everyones imput! I think I have it narrowed down between a 400ex and a z400. I might look at the 450R as well beacuse I may be able to get it for just a few hundred more dollars than the 400ex. Do you guys think I will will be able to handle a 450R or should I just stick to a 400ex/z400? This is my first quad, and I have only ridden two in my life one was a honda 80 and a suzuki 400 utility. And that was about 5 years ago. Will the 450R require that much more maintaince? And will it be too much power for me? Thanks again.
I have never ridden A 450R, But I can tell you at your age you should not have any problem's handeling it. My son in-law has A honda 400ex, And I have A Z400. The Z has more power and the ride is A lot smoother. Better suspension. Just adding A little more info. Good luck on what ever you decide.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2006 | 07:05 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well with all the help from you guys, I think I might be close! I can get a 2005 450R Kick Start for 300 more dollars than the 2005 400EX. Is it worth it or should I stick with the Electric Start 2005 400EX? The dealer also told me that the 2005 400ex has reverse but I don't think it does. Any thought? Thanks.

Old 07-05-2006 | 07:48 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The 04/05 R's are geared very tall......idle in 1st gear is like 25 mph. Switching to a 13 tooth front sprocket helps some, but if you are going to ride slow on tight trails, it can be a pain to have to work the clutch. If you are going to ride faster trails and open country though, then the 450 is the ticket.

With the kick starter, you have to know the drill or you will have problems. If you get the 450, ask us about it.

Quick Reply: Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!