Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Older Hondas better than newer ones?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006 | 01:13 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Older Hondas better than newer ones?

I have an '05 Rancher AT and an '02 Rancher ES. I have to say, the '02 is a better built machine than the '05. The '02 has solid bars under the floor boards where the '05 has metal rods. The '02 has an extra cross bar on the rear rack. The '02 has longer rear mud flaps than the '05. In fact, the back end of my '05 will be covered in mud and the '02 will be mostly clean on the same ride. The '02 has one rear tail light in the stronger center section than the dual rear lights of the '05 hanging off the flimsy fenders. I even like the way the plastic is made and fits better on the '02.

Old 07-07-2006 | 01:40 PM
Range Rover

To a certain extent....I might agree with you. The plastics and a few other things seemed a little better on my 01 450ES as compared to my 05 Rube. Infact, I even think that where the plastic goes together, it seemed to fit a little more snug and went together a little cleaner on the 01. I would even say the plastic appeared to be a little thicker and less flimsy on the 01. I do love the new styling though

Old 07-07-2006 | 03:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

"Better" means different things to different people!

I notice that the newer ones have lighter racks. To me, "better" means lighter, so things like lighter racks are just fine with me. I don't ride in mud, so things like smaller fenders are just fine too, etc., etc...................

It's all absolutely relative.................

Old 07-07-2006 | 03:19 PM
Range Rover

Point taken! and I agree, it is subjective. One thing though....I agree lighter is better, as long as it is not weaker! I realize he is talking about his Rancher but if we are talking about a Foreman or a Rubicon......Remember what people buy them for.
I was talking mainly about the plastic, and I don't think Honda intended on trimming loads of fat off the quads by making the plastic thinner. How much difference would that make???? The weight has not changed on a Foreman or a Rube since their new design.

Old 07-07-2006 | 07:50 PM
|
Trailblazer

I must say I'm surprised about the fender comment reconranger. Here in Utah, we don't ride in mud bogs like our eastern and southern friends, but the mountain trails do get muddy, especially when the snow is melting. And there is nothing worse than riding in January with slush and snow getting thrown on you the whole trip.

Old 07-08-2006 | 01:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd have to say that I wasn't too impressed with the plastic or body on my 500 Foreman compared to earlier versions, as far as fit/finish goes and the little rod (or is it a thick wire) that supports part of the floorboard and fender.

On the other hand, I think it's power, suspension and handling are a huge step up from the early Foremans.

The digital dash is really nice, and I would also have to say they did a good job with push pins and attachment points to keep the plastic body from getting damaged when you snag a fender on a branch, or scrape between two trees.

Bottom line, for my riding I think newer ones are better than old ones in most ways.

Old 07-10-2006 | 08:36 AM
Range Rover

When I said "a few other things"that's what I was referring to, those pathetic little rods that support the floorboards. But, I have not had any problems with them since about the first week I had the bike, so I am going to blame my dealer for not doing a good job of prepping the quad when he sold it to me. I had to tighten and play around with them myself and now they seem solid enough, but still not as good a setup as the older style.
Overall, I like the new ones better too!

Old 07-10-2006 | 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

When you said older.. I thought you may have ment the old 250r...That was the day lol.. Back then it was the honda 250r..the old quadzilla 500 and the banshee...Good time...Well that tells ya im old fart...lol