Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon or Rancher??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000 | 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey PADAZZ, the Honda Rubicon is very sporty and I even think it's lighter than my dads Honda 450,not sure but it feels that way. The steering and handling is the best I know from a quad. Let me tell you again, this thing is a gas hog but for what your asking for you will not be dissopointed I garintee it! This is all from my experances on my Rubicon.

Old 12-01-2000 | 04:53 AM
Range Rover

Here's my take on situation. I Recently had to decide the same thing. I was coming from a Sportsman 500 automatic that my wife loved. So going away from the auto was difficult. I decided on the Rancher for several reasons....
1-The money I saved helped pay for my son's new Suzuki LT80.
2-Even though the Rubicon was easy to steer, I think the Rancher steers even easier. I have ridden the Rubicon in the woods at a pretty good pace...and when diving into tight turns it does feel a little heavy in the front end. I personally like the lighter, sporty feel you get with the Rancher.
3-And even though it is a Honda...I do like the simplicity of the Rancher. No auto tranny, or radiator to worry about.

Now, with all that said.....If money were no object, go with the Rubicon. If your wife will be riding up steep hills, go with the Rubicon. The auto tranny is easier to master going up hills. You just punch it and go. No gear selection for your wife to worry about. I must say, you also get a better suspension system as well.

Heck...I think I just talked myself into a Rubicon. I guess I'll have to get a part-time job on the side or put my wife to work.

I love my Rancher, but if you can afford it...GO WITH THE RUBICON!!!!!!!

Rick

2001 Rancher 4x4ES

Old 12-01-2000 | 05:23 AM
Pro Rider

Just a quick comment PADZZ if your dealer wont allow a test drive for a 5,000 TO 6,000 QUAD YOU NEED TO FIND A NEW DEALER ! Do you buy a car without driving it? I agree there is alot of good advice on these forums but you need to ride the quad so you can make the decision for yourself.

Triston

Old 12-01-2000 | 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

TDBRPH, I still havent found a dealer in Dallas, TX (pretty big city) that will let you test drive a quad.

Old 12-01-2000 | 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

The Ruby. To me, the sterring only feels heavy under slow speed, tight turns. Under power (accelleration), the Ruby feels light and nimble. Another thing, is that the Ruby has 2-3 more inches of suspension travel, and is a softer ride. But there's no better thing to do than to test-drive them both, if possible. You need to make you own mind up.

Old 12-02-2000 | 03:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wish that I would've spent the extra money on the Rubicon instead of getting the Rancher.

Old 12-02-2000 | 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

I also wish I had purchased a Rubicon over the 2001 Rancher 4x4ES that I have, but that is not to say that I don't love my Rancher. My Rancher has never given me a problem one, knock on wood. The only reason is that I wish now that I had purchased the Rubicon is just for the extra umph. When I purchased my Rancher my dealer let me ride it on the parking lot and on a larger piece of unpaved property beside the store. This may not be the ideal test ride but I couldn't imagine any dealer that would let someone leave the store with a new quad for a test ride. My local Yamaha dealer wouldn't even let me take a ride on the lot, when I went there looking at a new Big Bear so I then went to the Honda dealer and rode the Rancher and was sold.

Old 12-03-2000 | 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

PADZZ: I have noticed that at times the Rancher steers harder than our Rubicon with Vamps on it. No joke! But I really have never noticed that same feeling on the Rubicon. Might be the power on the Ruby breaks loose the wheels (or turns them easier period) so it doesn't seem as hard to steer. But in average I really think the Ruby steers easier. Handling, I like the Rancher for playing, but the Ruby with the stock tires on it is just as fun. To be honest it probably is more fun, the problem is it only had stock tires and rims for about a day, Don't remember what the difference was, but if stock I'll again go with the RUBY here. Pulling and loaded down, RUBY ALL THE WAY. The Rancher will pull, but the rubicon will not get thrown around as much, and with sub tranny, it takes the cake. TO sum it up, if your not putting riders on it with you (which god knows no one does) or not loading it down with trailers for long trips, or putting 27" tires on it, the Rancher is everything and probably more than you'll need. IT IS FUN. But if you fun, a worker, a mudder(Rancher is good here to though), and fully AUTO. RUBY is the way. Sounds like your having the same problem I had. Rode both and liked them over the Yamaha Kodiak and got both a new Ruby, and Rancher. That is the answer!!!!

Oh, just one thing else(sorry so long) FIND A NEW DEALER or someone that will let YOU ride them both, that would really help you more than any advice anyone here could help you with honestly. GOOD LUCK

Old 12-03-2000 | 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

Snowshark: I wish Honda would come out with a Rancher with the Hondamatic and sub tranny. It might just be there best all around quad if made. Hope is what we have to work with right now, but I believe it will happen. Oh, maybe a six-wheeler to!!!

Old 12-03-2000 | 10:53 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the great replies. I just wish I could drive both. Talking to the wife, she seems to prefer the auto tranny. She likes our Polaris. Hopfully when (if) I end up getting the Rubicon/Rancher and 250EX they'll cut me some kind of deal. I was leaning toward the Rubicon for obvious reasons, now after hearing all the pluses, that is what I'll likely (hopefully) get. Thanks, Drew