Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Please help 300ex advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help 300ex advice

Ive been lookin for a quad for a few months now.. not too expensive beacuse i dont have too much money. I was looking in the 2 grand range. Anyways i was lookin in the local newspaper today and they had a 300 ex listed. Its a 2000 with white brothers exhaust, new handle bars, and skid pates. The motor has been rebuilt and he has all the paperwork i belive. I went out and looked at it this evening and took it for a ride. It rode awesome and shifted through the gears perfect. The plastics were scratched up pretty good and it was melted through where the aftermarket exhaust is and there was a small crack in the front plastics. Anyways he was askin 1800 for it but i think i talked him down to 1600 what is everyones opinion on this bike..any problems i should be aware of. Ill just be doing trail riding. Sorry i dont have any pics.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

I like my 300ex. It has a FMF megamax pipe and filter. Set up real nice. It stays with my Stock DVX 400 to 55. It handles nice and it a great trail machine. I am haveing my first problems with it now, but it is a real awesome atv.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Whats the problem? are they expensive to repair? Yah and wheni rode it today it was pretty quick i liked it alot. i used to have a blaster for about 6 months. didnt like it for trail riding

Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 300ex is a great quad, light, easy to steer on the trail, good power for a 282 cc motor, and the electric start and reverse make it easy to get around on tight trails. The motor in stock form is bullet proof, my son's is a 99, I bought it used, and except for a pipe, filter and jetting, is still stock, and running great. That makes me a little curious, why did the 2000 need a rebuild? Did the former owner just bump up the power, or ride it into the dirt and wear it out? The melted rear plastic is a common problem with aftermarket exhaust on the 300ex, the new pipe is bigger, and routed too close to the fender, so you need to put a lot more heat sheild in that area, I got a good patch of that fiber reinforced aluminum fabric stuff, and have not had one problem in the last several years. Don't worry about the scratches, you can find plastic on ebay cheap, or custom plastics from Full Bore or Maier. The price sounds pretty fair, as long as the engine rebuild was done by a reputable shop, if the owner did the rebuild, I would make sure and ask exactly what he replaced and who did the machining, like cylinder boring, etc. If he didn't mess with the motor too much, it should run like a watch for years with no problems, I haven't even had to adjust the valves on my son's in all these years of riding, it still starts and runs just as good as the day I got it ( actually better now, with my minor mods !!)

Old 09-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks for the info 95wolv. The reason the motor was rebuilt was because they were doing something and $80 part i dont remeber exactly and they deiced to rebuild since it was apart. I know some mechanics just not working inside the motor. thanks for the info, im supposed to call him back today this afternoon.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok i talked to him today it was the shifting rod that was replaced and it was bored .010 over by a local shop here. The motor work was done by the person he bought it off of. And the guy that is selling it now has had it for a year, told me he wanted to sell it because he wanted a utility bike for winter..

Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well i decided not to get the 300ex i offered him 1500 cash and told me no and his lowest was 1700, i guess i was mistaken about the 1600. Anways i luckily found a 400ex at a dealership here in town. Since my sisters boyfriend is good friends with a kid out there that works in service they got me a deal at 2200, (they made 100 bucks off of me from when they took the trade in) the bike runs awesome frame is perfect and plastics great. I am glad i spent the extra money for it. hopefully i will get some pics posted soon.