Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need help , 07 trx 450r air filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help , 07 trx 450r air filter replacement

I cant decide witch air filter to get the k&n stock replacement for $45.00 or the unu stock replacement ,or the 132.00 pro design with the k&n all i see different about this is the billet adapter witch really couldnt make much difference could it ? do u guys know if the stock replacement by k&n is as big as the stock filter in diamater and lenth. is the one in the pro design kit bigger than the stock replacement k&n .if i get the k&n stock replacement and its as big as the stock filter il be happy ,,,

Old 09-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Intake can make a huge difference, probally more than what the filter does depending on how restrictive the 450r's is. If going to mod it up go with the Pro-Design and if worried about a few bucks you can get the Pro-design UNI cheaper. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Not familiar with what the intake looks like on the 450r but I agree with trenema. A Pro-Design intake is going to allow alot more air in and that is the whole point. Yamaha's set-up they are using right now is very restrictive and I imagine Honda's is about the same. I got my Pro-Design UNI for under $100 so shop around a little bit.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely any dust will murder your valves......and you live in dust country! This machine isn't the least bit tollerant of dust, like some other machines are (eg. the 400EX). So, I am hopeing to talk you out of the K&N! I ran them back when, and every time I changed filters I would wipe out he intake with a clean rag, and there was always a thing film of dust. They do pass dirt!

What I run is the ProDesign FOAM, with an EHS Racing airbox lid (covered with Outerwears).

DO NOT get the UNI foam, because the cage for it is plastic. It will eventually warp under the pressure from the band that keeps it on, and quickly won't fit anymore. This is a design defect that UNI needs to address! Great reason to go with the ProDesign, with its aluminum insert.........beats the whole system!

Old 09-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

Are you talking about the pro design with the uni filter what foam filter comes with the pro design other than the uni ? thanks for some info

Old 09-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Red Rider

The ProDesign foam filter is made by UNI, and is excellent. What makes the ProDesign unit so nice is that aluminum adapter, that holds the wire cage and filter securely.

The problem with the regular UNI units is the wire insert. It has a PLASTIC collar, that will warp from the pressure of the band. They have to be replaced after just a few months. Brings UNI a lot of extra business.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Don't waste your money on any of these options. Trust me, been there done that. Have you found any dyno proof of these air filters making more power on this setup???? Demand proof my friend. Save this money on a full exhaust or slip on and that will get you more real power.

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Also, we just had our first crank failure on an '06 450r in our dealership and low and behold he just happened to have a ESR intake air box eliminator.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Red Rider

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I have more than one filter for each of my machines. At least three: one on the bike, one in the wash, and one oiled up and ready to go. Now, if I am going to spend my money on a whole bunch of filters, I might as well get a pricey aftermarket one, as a pricey stock one, huh.

UNI manufactures Honda's stock filters. They are dense and single density, and designed to survive neglect. The UNI aftermarket filters are dual density, and designed for the owner who is going to be reasonably diligent about maintenance.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: dunefool
Don't waste your money on any of these options. Trust me, been there done that. Have you found any dyno proof of these air filters making more power on this setup???? Demand proof my friend. Save this money on a full exhaust or slip on and that will get you more real power.
I absolutely agree. Just stick with a nice quality dual stage foam filter!

Quick Reply: need help , 07 trx 450r air filter replacement