Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is the Recon a good quad???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the Recon a good quad???

Yeah man, I think you have the perfect game plan. The Recon of my friend's is always the quad we go to to let beginners learn on when they come out with us, and we can still have fun on it as well and most of us have been riding for 10-17 years.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] They are also well balanced and have good power for there class, so I'm sure they'll go anywhere you need it to.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 2005 Recon, and a 2006 Rincon.

My wife and kids love the Recon. It is a great beginner ATV. And I even like riding it at times. It is just a lot of fun, even compared to the bigger ATV's. You feel more like you are on a motorcycle instead of an ATV. You can manuver it and throw it around a low. I have taken it every where I have taken my bigger bore ATV's over time. Had it in mud up to the bottom on the seat. Only 1 time, I have had to help rock it out of a mud large hole. Have taken it up large mountains in Eastern KY and steep grades. Guess there may be a time or two I will need 4WD, but hardly ever. And as long as you are with someone with 4WD and a tow strap, you can pull it up a hill if needed.

Reliable and inexpensive. Great Quad. Just think about it...... 15 years ago, it was a "big bore". HA HA!

Good idea.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

No sport quads? I'm with reconranger. If you don't need the racks, don't get them. We have both a 250ex and a Recon in the family, and the performance difference isn't even funny. My 14 year old brother blows the doors off of my dad in any trail scramble. And seeing as they're on the same frame and suspension, the 250 goes anywhere the Recon will. But as always, each to his own.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

oes the 250 ex have adjustible rear suspension for heavier riders?

Old 09-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: JimmyHoffa
No sport quads? I'm with reconranger. If you don't need the racks, don't get them. We have both a 250ex and a Recon in the family, and the performance difference isn't even funny. My 14 year old brother blows the doors off of my dad in any trail scramble. And seeing as they're on the same frame and suspension, the 250 goes anywhere the Recon will. But as always, each to his own.
I'm guessing you didn't read the part where he said they want the racks and fenders? Not everybody wants to race through the trails.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

My wife will be using the quad and doesn't want to get wet or muddy if at all possible. I bought my kids a 90cc quad and all they want me to do is put a rack on it so they can haul their own lunches and gas. Why buy a quad without racks when all they want is one with racks. They aren't racers by any means. However when they get older then they may change their minds. When that happens I would be glad to look at the sport quads.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Well we took the plunge and bought the recon. I got a fair deal on it especially for the area I live in. The only thing is that it desperately needs tires. I noticed that the rim sizes seem odd. What is a good replacement tire for the recon? Remember we do trail riding in the west so we are doing high desert riding to riding trails with some mud and snow mixed in. Essentially I need a good tire that will be light weight, handle all sorts of trails, and have good traction and not cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks,

Old 09-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Hey congrats on the new quad. Now you need pics.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

As far as tires, I'm not to sure what would be the best all around tire for a Recon and your needs, but I'm sure someone will help.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Nice! You should check out GBC tires selection if you're worried about cost but still want a decent tire.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new quad. As far as tires or anything quad related check out atvoutfitters.net. Matt carries a large selection of tires and can hook you up. But if interested call him for the best price. Also rockymountainatv is another good place to shop for tires and whatever.