Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is the Recon a good quad???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Recon a good quad???

How reliable is the Recon? I'm looking at this for my wife or oldest daughter.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

This depends on what type of rider your wife/daughter is. My dad has one, and when I'm unlucky I have to ride it. They're rediculously slow and have bad suspension, but it's pretty much impossible to kill them. My dad has pretty much thrown his down hills and it usually stays running, and is never unridably damaged. If your wife or your daughter will eventually become a more agressive rider (even just a little bit), get a nice little 250x or 300ex. I'm pretty biased to the sport quad market, so wait for some other opinions. ...My 300 is for sale... :-P

Old 09-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

O I forgot. At high RPM's, the engine is rumored to split rockers on VERY rare occasions. I've never heard any first hand stories, and this is probably fixed by now, but I thought I'd throw it in.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

how can the 250 be really slow when the 300 has what 20 more cc, and 50 lbs less weight. dude its a good quad. its like the suzuki ozark it will do around 50 closter to 45 but close. its a utility quad with 2 wheel drive, with shaft drive.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought one for my wife and daughters in 2001 and I think it is perfect for them. It even puts a grin on my face when I ride it. Recons are very reliable and handle very well. The only thing I have done to mine in 4 1/2 years is change the oil and clean the air filter. Don't get a sport quad for them unless they like to get muddy when it's wet out.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

As always opinions are as varied as the owners and what type of riding you plan to do... BUT I have two used Recons and the wife and I are having a blast on them!

You'll never win a race or a beauty pagent with them - but they will always bring you home. They are a low maintenance, low cost fun machine that will move you down a trail around 40 Kph (30 Mph) which is plenty for touring and sight seeing. They can climb and bounce along with the best of them - just slower...

If there has to be a down side to them - it is the fact that you have to learn how to shift gears...

Buy it; keep your routine maintenance up and you will have that machine to enjoy for years!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great machine! One of the most reliable quads on the planet, but...........

Better yet, if you don't need the racks or big fenders (for mud protection), get the 250EX. It is a Recon in sport plastic, but a hefty 50 pounds lighter (!), better suspension, disk brakes, wider and more stable....it will do anything a Recon will. Have an 01 that has been trouble free for years. Sold the Recon a few months ago, and got the kids another brand new EX.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: ttaylor
This is probably the most reliable quad that you can buy right now. Between my group of riding buddies we have had a few, but the one in particular has been through farm use and ridden hard like a sport quad with many hours on it, and it's still going strong.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: ttaylor
This is probably the most reliable quad that you can buy right now. Between my group of riding buddies we have had a few, but the one in particular has been through farm use and ridden hard like a sport quad with many hours on it, and it's still going strong.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mine tows so many quads out of trouble, we keep the tow rope attached and coiled on the rear rack.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies. My wife and daughters are beginner riders. I hope they will improve their skills and want bigger machines. I also have younger kids that will grow into the machine as they get older. We trail ride with local ATV clubs and most run 4X4's. Most of the trails are pretty decent but sometimes they get really hairy. Speed isn't a concern as much as the ability to climb decent sized hills and reliability. I'm mainly looking at the quad as an entry level for the wife to start out on and then move up to a full sized 4X4 when she gets used to riding. At the same time My oldest daughter is 12 and will be outgrowing the 90 soon. I planned on getting my wife a bigger quad and pass the recon down to the kids.
Sport quads are out of the question for the moment as the last thing my wife wants to do is get muddy or wet when we are out riding. Plus the racks will allow us to haul extra gas and lunches on the rides.

Quick Reply: Is the Recon a good quad???